Subject: Re: The case for Linux and EDA
From: adyer@MCS.COM (Andrew Dyer)
Date: 4 Mar 1998 16:42:00 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <gogoEpB6EG.IzL@netcom.com>,
R. Mark Gogolewski <gogo@netcom.com> wrote:

>BTW, I _love_ the idea of Linux.  However, if I ran a pure
>Solaris group, the only $$ I would really save would be on hardware.
>The EDA software won't get cheaper on Linux.  The admin support
>won't get cheaper, etc. , etc.  In fact, I'll have to support
>both for awhile when switching, so my admin costs go up.

I too want linux versions of the apps I need at work - viewlogic viewdraw,
VCS, altera and xilinx tools, timing designer, etc, etc...

I suspect that part of the problem is that EDA companies want to charge
UNIX CAD prices for Linux software, rather than NT CAD software prices
which seem to be much less (for less functionality in most cases).

--
| Andrew Dyer                       <adyer@midway.com> or <adyer@mcs.net>     |
| Sr. Design Engineer               (773) 961-1751                            |