Subject: Re: The case for Linux and EDA
From: "rk" <stellare@erols.com.NOSPAM>
Date: 7 Mar 1998 23:31:05 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
rk:
: >: >don't know why people think you can't do good work with non
unix/linux
: >: >systems

phil:
: Perhaps some people can't understand how you can get any work done at all
: on Win95 (and to a lesser extend with NT).
:
: Win95 and NT lock you into a graphical paradigm for tools that is
: difficult to automate.  Let's say I'd like to run several simulations
over
: night and keep track of potential failures in each.  This is easy in
: Unix/Linux.  Even if a tool has a GUI, it always has a way to execute
from
: the command line - this makes it very easy to put together a perl script
: to automate the overnight simulation runs.  In the Win world, most apps
: don't have a way to execute from the command line - so you've got to stay
: around all night and push the buttons if you want to batch up several
: runs.

rk:
don't know about all of my tools (since not the biggest issue haven't
looked into it, just run them off of the home pc, keep phone line open),
but most of them do have alternate interfaces via the command line;  the
gooey is just a shell.  and running them via the internet is trivial.

rk:
: >does microsoft office run on linux?  need that to communicate these
days.

phil:
: Who needs it?  There are other ways to 'communicate'.  On Linux there is
: StarOffice (can read and write M$Word doc format), Applix (can also read
: and write M$Word format as well as others), WordPerfect, LyX (a GUI
: frontend for LaTeX - great for equations, MSWord can't touch it).

rk:
if it can read and write the latest formats (word, excel, and powerpoint
are the standards) then that's fine.  and it should accept objects from all
other programs too.  are these programs available for win '95?  if so, then
there's an alternative that i think many would be willing to try.

rk:
: >does aol run on linux?  very popular in america.

phil:
: AOL is a joke.  Who needs it, get a real ISP ;-)

rk:
the people who use it, very popular application, easy to use.  got lots of
users and the discussion was that people use win and not linux cause they
don't want to re-install os.  but, there are apps that people want to run.
and aol is very popular with many professionals, including those that are
involved in cae.  cheap, and can dial in from anywhere.  real isp is a long
distance call.  expensive for many.  and much harder to use for the typical
pc user.  sorry if aol is such a joke, perhaps those 10 million people are
all idiots.  or perhaps that just want to use the internet easily and are
less concious of what the 'real' professionals think.

rk:
: >visual basic run on linux?

phil:
: Again, who needs it?  Especially with the existence of the following on

rk:
people with a lot of exisiting vb code.  why should the switch to linux and
rewrite code?  why should they make their life harder?  why should they
learn new tools?

phil:
: Linux:
:
: Perl (and Perl/TK)
: TCL/Tk
: Python (and many different graphical extentions)
: Eiffle
: Scheme/Tk
: Java
: ... others too numerous to mention...
:
: Given the availability of these languages, who in their right mind would
: us VizBasic

rk:
personally i'm not a visual basic user.  but there are a lot of people who
are.  gets the job done for them and they say it's very easy to use and do
good thinks with.  guess they're all crazy.  i'll tell them all
immediately!  ;)  p.s. one of the gals i work with is doing some java
stuff, very good programmer.  if she could, she'd switch to vb or delphi,
but they won't let her.  much easier to use (or is it the learning curve?).

rk:
: >national instruments, do they supply ieee-488 drivers for linux?

phil:
: I donno... but I'll bet that someone has made a driver for Linux
somewhere
: (just may not be National Inst)

rk:
if it doesn't run *ALL* of the national cards i gotta shut my lab down.
and so do a lot of others.  or get new cards, new driver, and then right an
interface module so i don't have to revise about 8 years of code, developed
my multiple people.  *that's* more important than the os, which i don't
particularly care about.

rk:
: >labview run on linux?
: >matlab run on linux?

phil:
: I believe the answer is yes here (but not too sure).  If not there are
: several free equivilents that are available (Octave comes to mind).
: Mathmatica runs on Linux.

rk:
oops, good point, left off that last one.  again, are they code compatible
and humanoid interface compatible with labview and matlab?  lot of files
and training time.  and training and converstion time, for a typical
professional, runs $50 - $100 / hour.  it's expensive to change.  it's
inertia.  and that does figure into decisions, not just technical merit.

rk:
: >orcad run on linux?

phil:
: Now to address the EDA apps together:
:
: No, most of them don't run under Linux and that's the point of this
: thread.  Many of us in the design community would like to see some of
: these apps on Linux. The fact that they are not here now does not point
: some technical deficiency in the Linux OS.  It merely points to the fact
: that a large, well financed company with monopolistic tendencies has been
: able to convice the EDA companies that its OS will ultimately rule the
: universe.  The OSs from Redmond are not in the position they are in
: because of any technical merit, but because of the marketing muscle (and
: strong arm tactics) of Micro$oft.

rk:
well, i agree with a lot of that <rk quickly checks his pulse>.  many of
the cae tools run on unix and not windoze, so that part doesn't hold up.
and i'd guess that it's an easier port from unix to linux.  again, a
problem with the argument.  and, as we've discussed, there are certain
designs which won't fit the pc model but need something more.  doesn't mean
that you can't do a lot of nt or linux, it's just different niche.

now w.r.t. a certain company, who's head got his *ss hauled before congress
this week (live right outside d.c.), yes, they have used marketing muscle
and strong arm tactics to get where they are, not technical merit (is this
the olympics?).  it's interesting, when win 3.1 finally was abandoned by
s/w developers, how many developed for '95 and how many for nt.  perhaps
i'm a conspiracy theorist! ;)

rk:
: >viewlogic run on linux?
: >actel designer run on linux?
: >xilinx tools run on linux (pete)?
: >altera tools run on linux?
: >orca tools run on linux (stu)?
: >synplicity run on linux?
: >examplar run on linux?  i think this is a yes, do they still support?
:
: Answer was yes here, not too sure now.

phil:
: >aldec run on linux?
: >does it network directly with win 95/nt machines with drag and drop?
: >delphi run on linux?
: See the languages discussion above.

rk:
yup, but here's the key point.  let's say one is developing on both windoze
now and unix.  windoze for small to medium jobs, say fpgas.  and unix for
medium sized asics.  and win '95 is about to be replaced in a years time
with the new version.  so, it's time to think, perhaps, about upgrading.
and when you get new machines, what do you put on it?  obviously, on a
design team, you want similar configurations for all team members.

do you go to linux, for the sake of argument, technical merit?
do you stay at '95 since it does the job and wait things out?
do you go to nt 5.0, run existing apps (eda and non-eda) and bet that
that's where the action will be?
do you go to straight unix/sun configurations?

note: for windows choices, keep unix/sun for asics.

*that* is the question, as if the chips and boards and boxes don't flow
out, $ doesn't flow in.  we're all in business of one sort.

from what i've read here, from people all over the world, it doesn't look
like linux will be a good bet in the 6-12 months time.  not from
performance, technical merit, or anything like that.  from s/w
availability.

rk:
: >sigma plot run on linux?

phil:
: gnuplot (and its X frontend).  Several plotting programs are available
: (most free).

rk:
is it compatible?  a lot of people use this package (like the wife!) so i
gotta be compatible.  again, file conversion/training time.  this case,
mostly training time.

<snip a bunch of apps - apparently there are some equivalents if you're
resourceful and can find them, eliminating some conversion hassles>

rk:
: >can i play the cd-rom interactive disks for the kids on linux?

phil:
: What's this got to do with getting your design done?

rk:
oh, we use the 'puter at home for lots of stuff.  business (cae) and other
stuff.  don't want to lose capability if i upgrade.

same to other stuff below.

rk <who gotta proof read better>
: >for engineering.  don't know answers, perhaps you can feel us in.

phil:
: Well, I'm not that kind of guy.  ;-)

rk:
good, me neither.  just sometimes types too fast.

rk:
: >like i say, "it's the s/w, stupid."  [paraphrased from the pres.]  who
: >cares about the os or cpu.  it's the apps.

phil:
: Yeah, and its the stupid software too ;-)  But seriously, the OS does
have
: an impact in how you get your work done.  If the GUI gets in the way (as
: it does with WinXX) it can be a hinderance.

rk:
well, you have showed some good alternatives and answered some questions.
thanks!  and you did better than the guy who doesn't want to move his hand
all the way over to the arrow keys.

yup, some programs, too much clicking.  even the 'explorer.'  i do a lot of
my navigating with the keyboard, much faster.  sometimes better with mouse.

a lot of the cae you can run from the command line and batch files.  that's
something that's easy for eda vendors to change for many apps.

but, at day job, they run many of the same apps on both unix/sun and
win/pc.  and that keeps training time/costs reasonable and shields you, to
a certain extent, from the os.

if the mainstrain cae apps aren't there, it will be hard to switch to
linux.  chicken and egg.  and will vendors translate sun --> win or sun -->
linux or none?  and on the other side will they go from pc --> linux or pc
--> unix or none?

it'll be interesting to see!
rk

"there's nothing like real data to screw up a great theory"
- me (modified from original, slightly more colorful version)