Subject: Re: Efficient max-function architecture?
From: "Jan Gray" <jsgray@acm.org.nospam>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:03:40 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Some comments.

Algorithm analysis 101 tells us that to determine the largest item of n
items requires at least n-1 2-input "greater than" comparisons.  You might
build other circuit structures, e.g. using 3-input or 4-input max-functions,
of course, but I doubt they are as area efficient -- although I can't prove
that off the top of my head.

In the worst case, each comparison must consider each bit of its two
arguments, although there is a possibility (a probability) of "early out" if
some MSBs are different.  If you wish to take advantage of early-out, you
will have to design for the worst case (no early-outs occurred) or for
failure in the improbable case.

As you suggest, you can do the n-1 comparisons sequentially, in parallel,
pipelined, etc., depending upon your performance requirements.

Consider using dedicated carry chains (if available) to make your
comparators small and fast.  For example, an n-bit comparator requires
approximately n/2 XC4000 CLBs + approx 1/2 CLB to establish carry-in[0] as
0.

If the data arrives a byte at a time you could perform 1 load and n-1
comparison cycles using a single comparator and load-enabled register (e.g.
4.5 XC4000 CLBs, 1+15 cycles at ~10 ns/cycle).

If the 16 bytes of data arrive all at once, the pipelined tree of
comparators and muxes should do nicely (15*(4.5+4) = ~130 CLBs, 10
ns/cycle).

Hybrids: e.g. if you have 50 ns you can reduce the problem to a first step
where you iteratively find 4 largest of 4 subsets of 4, followed by 3
comparators+muxes, in area 4*4.5 +3*(4.5+4) = ~45 CLBs).

Jan Gray

Article: 11976