Subject: Re: IP cores and software industry
From: msimon@tefbbs.com (M.Simon)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:53:36 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

There is a dual stack core in VHDL around.

Ask in the FORTH group.

Simon
On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 07:36:59 -0600, "Mark Rogers"
<markr14@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am not all that excited about companies springing up just to sell IP cores
>so they can make royalties off other peoples products.  I am not really
>against it either (it's a free country/part of the world), but I would hate
>to see some company turn into a Microsoft of IP.  I think it would be neat
>if a shareware/open source movement started in IP (assuming it hasn't
>already).
>
>Most engineers I know don't like embedding other peoples designs into there
>own, and if they do, they always want to tweak it.  If it is a hardware guy
>taking some VHDL or a software guy taking a C routine, he (or she) will want
>to modify it.  That's what engineers do.
>
>Besides, I think some IP, like processor cores could benefit from 1000's of
>people working on it around the world just as Linux has.
>
>I suspect that ultimately the IP industry will evolve until it very closely
>matches the software industry.  A few power house companies supplying the
>bulk of the IP, weekenders and college students cranking out shareware IP,
>and then some huge open source products being developed over the web.
>
>Anyway, food for though...
>
>Mark

Simon - http://www.tefbbs.com/spacetime/index.html
Article: 15551
Subject: FPGAs with ECL-compatible I/Os
From: Pierre Langlois <langlois-p@rmc.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:49:55 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
All the fast (>100 MHz) ADCs I know of have ECL outputs (SPT 7750,
HI116, etc.).

With FPGAs able to do process data at such high data rates, the
difficulty now seems to get the data to the FPGA.  Level translators are
available on the market, but seriously complicate system timing
especially if multiple chips must be used.

Does anyone know of FPGAs with ECL-compatible inputs?  Any plans to
bring some to market in the near future?

Alternatively, does anyone have any comments on their experience
interfacing FPGAs to fast ADCs?

Thanks in advance.

Pierre Langlois
Département de mathématiques et informatique
Collège militaire royal du Canada
langlois-p@rmc.ca