Subject: Re: CMOS or TTL
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:10:09 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I started out in the mid 70's with TTL I was buying from junk resellers like
Poly-Paks.  Back then CMOS was new, and at the time it was very slow compared to
TTL, plus it died if there was a static discharge anywhere in the same room if
it was out of it's foil wrapper it came in.  Back then, we used CMOS when power
was a consideration (or when you didn't want to mess with regulated power
supplies).  So what is slow?  TTL gates delays were measured in tens of
nanoseconds (a 7474 D flip-flop had a clock to out of 40 ns).  CMOS gates
delays, in some cases were specified in microseconds.

CMOS has since come a long way, and TTL has more or less gone the way of the
dinosaur (what is sold as TTL now is generally CMOS with TTL level outputs).

The good thing those days was the Joe Hobbyist could walk into Radio Shack and
pick up quite a variety of TTL parts (you'd pay through the nose at Radio Shack,
but you didn't have to wait a week for it to come from a mail order place).
What a great way to learn about logic, as well as learning how to troubleshoot a
real design (those designs in Radio Electronics never worked as advertised).
Fast forward to now, and the hobbyist's best hope is an FPGA board, which he
isn't going to throw together with $10-15 of surplus parts.

Thanks for the Nostalgic trip!  (No, I wouldn't want to go back)

Peter Alfke wrote:

> This discussion looks like a time warp.
> TTL was created in the 'sixties and, through Low-power Schottky variations,
> served us into the 'eighties. But that's almost 20 years in the past...
> All modern development is, and has been, in CMOS, with some GaAs and
> belated ECL thrown in for extra high speed.
> I spent the first half of my professional life designing with TTL, but that
> is now just a faint memory...
>
> Peter Alfke
>
> plogic1@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > Its all depend on what you are trying to do.Industry prefers CMOS
> > due to its size of the devices and the relative low power. But on the
> > other hand the devices may be a bit expensive.
> >
> > Reg
> >
> > plogic1
> >
> > In article <9443qv$njm$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> >   erika_uk@my-deja.com wrote:
> > > hello,
> > >
> > > which provides better performance CMOS or TTL based devices?
> > > I believe that CMOS gives better performance, and it's the CMOS based
> > > devices which are more expensive...but my friend told me the inverse ?
> > >
> > > but what let the better to be better ?
> > > are all fpga based CMOS devise ?
> > >
> > > any input  ?
> > >
> > > --Erika