Subject: Re: From good-old ISA bus cards to PCI bus
From: acher@in.tum.de (Georg Acher)
Date: 31 Aug 2004 17:10:59 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
<isa -->PCI> writes:
>I'm one of that "old" engineer with a bit of experience on ISA bus cards.
>Over the years I've designed and manufactured various cards for the ISA bus.
>But as the technology runs faster than I'm, my good-old cards become
>obsolete.
>
>I would like to ask what would be the simplest way of learning and
>experimenting on PCI bus ?

Have a look at PCI-to-"simplebus"-bridges, like PLX90xx (www.plxtech.com). They
are very easy to use and quite flexible...

The PCB-layout on the PCI side is not that critical for experimenting,
Vero-Wire-wrapping from a PCI breadboard to a QFP-adaptor-PCB works absolutely
flawless. I don't know what generic drivers PLX has for Windows, for Linux you
don't need one (if you can live without busmaster DMA or IRQs).

Doing an PCI-interface on your own in an FPGA is possible, but for a start
(getting the driver stuff right) a ready-made chip is IMHO better.

--
         Georg Acher, acher@in.tum.de
         http://wwwbode.in.tum.de/~acher