Subject: Re: Altera Quartus FSM Simulation Delay?
From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:46:23 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Pino wrote:

>    I am currently using an example from a book which codes a simple
> FSM.  The code is seen below.  I simulate the following FSM obtained
> from a text book under Quartus 4.0 with the condition that "in1"
> signal is low for one clock-cycle commencing at the negative edge of
> the clock for an entire period.  During this time, the state machine
> is in the "START" state, and the output changes to sequence =
> "continue" and the output changes immediately given a small delay
> (less than 1/2 clock period).
(snip)

I believe you are rising edge triggered, not falling edge.

That is, at least, what I see in my simulations.

-- glen

Article: 73076
Subject: Re: Need some help with some technical claims...
From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:07:30 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Austin Franklin wrote:

> I need some help with something.  Someone made some technical
 > claims that I am questioning are correct or not ;-),
 > and would like to see what you guys think about these claims:

> #1> Programming FPGAs doesn't actually change or rewire those logic gates
> #1> in the silicon wafer. It changes bits of non-volatile memory that is
> #1> used as inputs to these gates. (These are not the gates you see when
> #1> you write the FPGA code, those are emulated by a combination of
> #1> hardwired gates and your code.)

Well, the LUT's do emulate logic gates.  The interconnect, though,
is programmable rewiring, at least traditionally done with pass
transistors, though now maybe more often with multiplexers.
Close enough to rewiring for me.

> #2>Software is defined as the part of a digital circuit that can be
> #2>changed without mechanical modifications, as opposed to hardware,
> #2>which is HARDwired. So FPGA code is software

So?   Where is the question?

Is verilog code for an ASIC software or hardware?

> #3> OTP EPROM data ... has always been regarded as software.

Well, OTP EPROM is already a contradiction.  Most people call
it firmware, though.

> #4> A LUT is not a device soldered onto the circuit board. It's not even
> #4> implemented in silicon (at least during the development stages). It's
> #4> programmed into an FPGA or suchlike and therefore software because you
> #4> can change it without any mechanical changes on the board.

An SRAM chip can be soldered into a board, and is usually implemented
in Silicon, though SiGe, or GaAs could also be used, does that matter?

Is this supposed to change the argument that FPGA code
is or isn't software?

> #5> Using a sufficiently parallelized, a LUT done in a
 > #5> DSP can be just as efficient as using an FPGA or ASIC.

Look up tables have been part of software design for as far
back as I know it.   Sometimes an address will be loaded from
a table as a branch targer, which makes the table darn close to
executable code.   In others, a table of branch instructions is
used as a target of an indexed branch, which definitely makes the
table executable.

Much software is table driven, where the code in the table is
interpreted in some way by directly executable code.

Many machines are microprogrammed, so that what you think of
as hardware is really software.

Trying to make fine distinctions between hardware and software
is a losing proposition.  Don't do it.

-- glen

Article: 73077