Subject: Re: Seeking FPGA and 8MB SDRAM in a PCMCIA Type I card
From: Mike Treseler <mike_treseler@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:30:29 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Gregory Burd wrote:
> I'm looking to do some experiments with FPGAs, but I work solely on my
> Mac PowerBook laptop and I don't really have an easy place to keep an
> exposed FPGA development board lying around (I live on a sailboat).

A sailboat would be a good place to learn HDL simulation.
Here's one for Mac OS X:
http://www.gmvhdl.com/mac-dv.html

From: Gregory Burd <gburd@sleepycat.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:19:44 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Thanks Hal and Philip.  That Annapolis Micro Wildcard-II
(http://www.annapmicro.com/wildcard2.html) seems like the beast I was
looking for.  Windows and Linux drivers.  If the Linux drivers are open
source it won't be hard for me to port it to Mac OS/X.  The driver kit
is fairly straight forward.  With that I should be able to talk to it,
poke around a bit.  As for development software, gee I don't know.
Anyone have suggestions?  I'm really just starting out in hardware
design.  I've been in software land for 15 years professionally.  I've
been looking for a challenge and I saw the empty PCMCIA slot on my Mac
and said, "Hey, I wonder what fun new interesting thing I could plug in
there and learn about?"  FPGAs have always been very interesting to me,
so a few seconds later I launched my quest.  I'm a fan of very high
level languages (lisp, Erlang, etc) and yet I've done a lot of work at
the C and assembly levels so I'm really interested to see how far I can
get toward making a tool like the Wildcard-II available to the general
user via say Io (www.iolanguage.com).  I'm very curious about async
logic design and non-von Neumann computer architectures.  I know, I know
I'm in way over my head.  But that's the fun part, right?

cheers, any additional help always appreciated.

-greg

Article: 77002
>> I'm looking to do some experiments with FPGAs, but I work solely on my
>> Mac PowerBook laptop and I don't really have an easy place to keep an
>> exposed FPGA development board lying around (I live on a sailboat).
>

> A sailboat would be a good place to learn HDL simulation.
> Here's one for Mac OS X:
> http://www.gmvhdl.com/mac-dv.html
>
>          -- Mike Treseler

Thanks Mike.  Its Winter here in Boston so I have to keep the brain
moving so it won't freeze up.  This looks like a good exercise to do
just that.

-greg

Article: 77003
> Thanks Hal and Philip.  That Annapolis Micro Wildcard-II
> (http://www.annapmicro.com/wildcard2.html) seems like the beast I was
> looking for.  Windows and Linux drivers.  If the Linux drivers are open
> source it won't be hard for me to port it to Mac OS/X.  The driver kit
> is fairly straight forward.  With that I should be able to talk to it,
> poke around a bit.  As for development software, gee I don't know.
> Anyone have suggestions?  I'm really just starting out in hardware
> design.  I've been in software land for 15 years professionally.  I've
> been looking for a challenge and I saw the empty PCMCIA slot on my Mac
> and said, "Hey, I wonder what fun new interesting thing I could plug in
> there and learn about?"  FPGAs have always been very interesting to me,
> so a few seconds later I launched my quest.  I'm a fan of very high
> level languages (lisp, Erlang, etc) and yet I've done a lot of work at
> the C and assembly levels so I'm really interested to see how far I can
> get toward making a tool like the Wildcard-II available to the general
> user via say Io (www.iolanguage.com).  I'm very curious about async
> logic design and non-von Neumann computer architectures.  I know, I know
> I'm in way over my head.  But that's the fun part, right?

Might be interesting having a look at the Celoxica offering - C-ish program
compiled to FPGA (I think it's C with fiddly bits to describe the
parallelism in hardware design).

Article: 77004