Subject: Ethernet / digital logic questions
From: Hw <localhost@com.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 06:30:05 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Ok,

I'm not designing an Ethernet MAC but I see that people now make FPGA
cores for this.

I had a few "general" questions on how these might be implemented.

1.  I know Ethernet bits flow across as Manchester encoded data.  I see
that many of the cores run from a 25 MHz clock.

How is the 125 Mbps (8/10 encoded data) serial stream generated without
some sort of clock multiplication?

2.  How does the clock / data recovery work from the 25 MHz clock too?

I've seen examples of Manchester decoding and usually there is some
high-speed clock available that it used to examine the preamble/sync
bits and this is clocked into a shift register at 4-8x line frequency.
The shift register is used to adjust a counter which determines when to
sample -- or so my understanding goes.

Are there any good resources that explain the "low-level" details of how
hardware Ethernet implementations might work?

Thank you.
H.

Article: 84751