Subject: Re: Minimum allowed clock frequency for Nios 2 processor (Stratix 2)
From: kempaj@yahoo.com
Date: 23 Jun 2005 09:25:43 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi Sunny,

Others have covered the main things to watch out for here. There is one
more: If you want to consider stopping the clock entirely to a CPU or
set of CPUs, you should consider having them jump to some sort of sleep
routine that will spin until woken up. The reason is that you don't
want the processor to attempt a memory or peripheral access when it is
sleeping, as this will essentially 'lock' access to the slave in
question (which could possibly be acceptable depending on your system,
but if you have shared memory and not all processors are 'turned off'
it can be bad news). Obviously you'll either need an instruction cache
(and a cycle through the sleep loop to get that code cached) so that no
memory access is initiated.

About JTAG: The Tck frequencies vary by the cable that you're using. I
believe the USB Blaster is fastest with a 10MHz Tck (this is from
memory, not a datasheet). The JTAG UART and Nios debug core logic were
built with the assumption that the CPU clock is running more quickly.
Obviously if you do not want to debug or use the JTAG UART this  won't
be a consideration.

Jesse Kempa
Altera
jkempa -at- altera -dot- com