Subject: (fwd) Postings sent as mail ???--------------
From: gt0361b@prism.gatech.edu (Benjamin Gene Cheung)
Date: 28 Sep 1994 00:23:14 -0500

Subject: What do think about the Intel Flexlogic8160?
From: gt0361b@prism.gatech.edu (Benjamin Gene Cheung)
Date: 28 Sep 1994 01:24:48 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Has anyone sampled the ifx8160 from intel?  What do think of it?

--
Benjamin Gene Cheung
Computer Engineer

Article: 227
Subject: Re: Xilinx 4000
From: bobe@soul.tv.tek.com (Bob Elkind)
Date: 28 Sep 1994 17:17:25 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
fliptron@netcom.com (Philip Freidin) writes:

     ...  much good info deleted, Phil obviously knows X4K well ...

:Here are some excerpts of Bob's mail with my comments.
:
:>2.  Don't use the -4 (fastest) speed grade.  Design to the -5 speed
:>    grade (or slower), and then specify -4 speed grade (or whatever
:>    the next fastest speed grade is) parts for production.
:
:This seems a little over precautious / pessamistic. The Xilinx
:speed files seem to be weighted to the pessamistic side already
:so designs that meet timing specs acording to XDELAY have always
:worked for me.

I stand by what I said in my original posting.  I've discussed the issues
involved with Phil, and perhaps his perspective may have shifted a bit,
but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

I get paid to design products that make money for our company, on schedule
and meeting design specs (including reliability and performance), and
with best possible manufacturing cost.  At this point in time, I would
*not* design for anything more aggressive than -5 performance, and I *would*
make sure that the FPGAs used in production were one speed grade faster
than my design criteria.

There is nothing more I can add to this subject.  Do as you see fit.

:>    I don't think the BUFGS/BUFGP delay differences are well
:>    characterised; they certainly aren't described well in the data books.
:
:The BUFGPs are about 1 nS faster than the BUFGSs.
:
:>    You will probably be happier if you stick to the BUFGPs for all
:>    clock distribution where clock skew is a concern.
:
:The clock skew for both is < 1 nS. I have measured them both and seen
:skews in the 300 to 500 pS range. Worst case skew is between an IO FF
:in the middle on the top or bottom edge , and a corner IO FF
:
:>  There are some at
:>    Xilinx who would debate this contention.  I have personal reasons
:>    for this conviction which relate to using the on-chip RAM.
:
:I have seen differences in the BUFGP to BUFGS skew too, but it is
:of the order of a few 100 pS, and less than 1 nS

I believe that there are differences in drive between the two types of
clock buffers, and resulting differences in rise/fall time which may
affect absolute timing over temperature, etc.  I can't prove this, however.

:>7.  Be careful about using both clock edges with tight timing tolerances.
:>    The clock buffers have TTL thresholds and asymmetric rise/fall times
:>    internally.  So 50% duty cycle clock waveforms externally don't
:>    necessarily translate into 50% duty cycle square waves internally.
:>    If you clock on both clock edges, you probably should provide at least
:>    4 nS of timing margin.
:
:The I/O input buffers have TTL thesholds (~ 1.5V), so a 5V square wave
:of 50% duty cycle will end up being seen as more clock high time and
:less clock low time, assuming equal rise and fall times. If the rise
:and fall times are fast ( < 3 nS), then the effect is about 1 nS.
:Slower edges will have more effect. Higher frequencies will make the
:effect a higher percentage of the cycle time. Internaly the FPGAs
:have their thresholds set to minimize clock stretching and shrinkage.
:4nS seems like a good safe number for clock margin, when doing things
:on both edges. Dont assume that CLK-BAR gets to the FFs later than CLK,
:as the clock might be distributed as CLK-BAR, not CLK.

I agree with Phil, if you are using a 5V square wave for external clock
signal.  Timing variation is greater if your clock signal is a typical
TTL signal which peaks around 2.5 or 3.0 V (check the 10125 data sheet for
max VOH).  The waveshape *around* (i.e. below, at, and above) the
"reference" voltage affects the transfer characteristic of the internal
buffer.  This is real-world consideration that not all semi vendors
appreciate in their characterisation processes.

Perhaps the best advice is to make your TTL clocks as sharp and
"full-swing" as possible.  External clock buffers will add skew,
however, but you get the idea.

:>8.  Don't be lulled by a batch of Xilinx FPGAs with excellent timing
:>    margins.  All FPGA vendors, including Xilinx, are aggressively pursuing
:>    smaller and smaller fab processes.  As the distribution of their
:>    parts with respect to timing performance changes, and as their order
:>    demand for different speed grades shift, you may get parts which
:>    greatly exceed minimum timing specs.  The next month you may get parts
:>    which aren't quite so fast.   So don't get over-confident from the
:>    excellent yield and/or margins on the first 50 boards.
:
:ABSOLUTELY. Thats what speed files and simulation are for: Make sure
:your design will work with the slowest silicon that meets the databook
:guarantees, at high temperature, and low VCC

The value of speed files, simulators, and simulation is limited by the
quality of the characterisation on which the speed files are based, the
competency of the simulator (or timing verifier/calculator), and the
applied skill of the user of the simulator.  There are a lot of IFs in
this equation, especially considering that characterisation of *ANY* FPGA
technology is a very, very complex matter.  I would suggest being very
conservative, and weigh the consequences of mis-guessing on the over-
aggressive side.

:I've designed with 4003, 4003A, 4005, 4008, 4010, and lots of XC3K

Phil's experience shows.

May the electrical force be with you.

Bob Elkind

Article: 228