Subject: Re: What is M1?
From: "William E. Lenihan III" <lenihan3we@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 01:19:35 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Simon Bacon wrote:

> For those of us who are not on the M1 pre-release program - possibly
> because we don't have paid-up software support - what is M1?
>
> From other posts, it sounds as if XNF is being dropped.  Is that
> correct?
>
> Will we have to abandon our home-grown tools which manipulate
> and/or generate XNF?
>
> ---
> Regards
> Simon

I don't know if the xnf file format will be dropped from the design flow
with the M1 release, but I am certain I've heard one or more Xilinx reps
say that their plan for some time in the future involves completely
replacing the use of xnf with the edif file format. The use of more
industry standards and fewer vendor standards will promote easier
inter-tool compatibility (Xilinx & Synopsys & Mentor, etc.,).

 William Lenihan                            lenihan3we@earthlink.net

    "The greatest barrier to communication is the delusion that
     it has already occurred."       -- Peter Cummings