Subject: Re: PCI burst transfers
From: wen-king@myri.com (Wen-King Su)
Date: 21 Jul 1997 11:06:12 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In a previous article jhallen@world.std.com (Joseph H Allen) writes:
:
;Suppose I'm doing a read burst.  The target must watch the IRDY# line from
:the initiator to determine whether to hold the current read data or to send
;out the next word.  IRDY# can arrive as late as 7ns before the clock edge,
:and the data must be out by 11ns after to the clock edge- thus you have 18ns
;for this decision to occur, including pad propagation delays and big routing
:delays between IRDY# and (perhaps) an output mux.  Is this correct or am I
;missing something here?

You are correct.  PCI is very hard to do with FPGA if you want high
throughput.  Althought it this may not be true, I often get a feeling
that the spec is designed to keep little guys who can't afford to do gate
arrays off the market.  Instead of output muxes, have you thought about
possibly feeding IRDY to flip-flops' enable input?  Or was that what you
were talking about?  In most cases, that will give you the best timing.
Whether you can sustain the burst internally is another story.

If you are doing it for a research project, you may be interested in
Lucent's plan to incoporate a hard wired PCI section on some of their
ORCA3C family of FPGAs.  Right now it looks like they may be too expensive
for commercial use because PCI products are very cost sensitive.
Article: 7001