Subject: Altera NOT-gate push back
From: "Jaap H. Mol" <jh_mol@wxs.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:54:50 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Hi there,

I recently had a quiet nasty experience with a function being
implemented in a FLEX10K(50) device, while testing the board containing
this device in its system environment. The problem that I encountered
was caused by the fact that one of the outputs of the device, driving an
active-low chip-select of dual-port memory on the board, seemed to
"stuck" at 0. During VHDL simulation of the RTL-, post-synthesis- and
post-layout models, this problem did not occur.
In this particular design, the (faulty) output was directly driven by
the output of a register. The asynchronous preset input of this
flip-flop was directly attached to the reset of the board/system. This
implies that the output should be set to 1 whenever the board/system
reset is active. However, after measurement this did not seem to be the
case in "real" hardware. Instead, when the system/board reset was
permanently active (=0), the output was 0 instead of 1.
By lifting/desoldering the particular I/O pin of the device, we assured
that the FLEX10K device was driving the signal to 0, and not some other
logic on the board.
The next 3 to 4 days I spend checking/simulating/measuring and building
several alternative designs to isolate the cause of the problem. I found
out the particular I/O cell was OK, configuration/downloading was OK,
and that other functions implemented in the FLEX10K device work well.

I knew that a Logic Element of a FLEX10K actually does not have a async
preset on its register, but that Maxplus2 emulates a preset
(preset-emulation) by using the clear/reset pin of its register, and
inverting both the register output and the data-input (LUT). Still, this
did not provide a cause for the problem I was having.
Then I read something about the NOT-gate push back option of the
logic-synthesizer of Maxplus2. Basically, this optimization technique
will move inverters being used on the output of a register to its
data-input (LUT), resulting in improved area/timing. Although this
optimization technique did not seem to be very relevant to the problem I
had, I decided to build my design with this option switched on (also
driven by my growing frustration ;-)....). My original design had this
option switched off e.g. no NOT-gate push back optimization.
During compilation, I now saw the message/info that all presetable
registers in my design would power-up high. (Not: this message did not
show up with NOT-gate push back switched off).

To make a (already way too) long story short, the (original) design
fully functioned when I use another optimization setting in Maxplus2!
Although I'm glad to have found the problem, I still don't fully
understand it. After all, Maxplus2 did not warn me about anything (even
the famous Design Doctor), all my simulations were working correctly,
and 99% of the design in "real" hardware also operated correctly!
I know that the issue I had has some kind of relation with topics like
preset-emulation (Maxplus2), power-up (FLEX10K) and (logic) optimization
(Maxplus2), but that where it ends for me.

Can somebody out there explain me what exactly happened, and why? This
can be extremely helpful to prevent problems like this in the future.
For anybody who had similar experiences: I would really appreciate it if
you could share them with me.

Best Regards,

Jaap Mol

Article: 18776