Subject: Re: Accessing internal signals and ports for writing to a file using testbench
From: " Srinivasan Venkataramanan" <Venkataramanan.Srinivasan@Philips.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:48:05 +0200

"Nestor" <nestor@ece.concordia.ca> wrote in message
news:JIUm5.141833$1h3.2697602@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi Everyone.
>
> My problem is how to access signals internal to that UUT.  I am able to
> access these internal signals within the simulator's graphical view, but I
> cannot export that information in a readable format using the simulator's
> menus.  Is there a way to achieve what I want using the VHDL syntax
directly
> within the VHDL testbench?

  The straight forward answer would be a "NO" especially if you don't intend
to touch your design under test. (Putting signals in package, or adding
those in the entity.. - I don't prefer these 2 solutions, and I would prefer
NOT to change my design in order to verify it).

Having said that, in your case as far as I understand you could do it
possibly with your Simulator's scripting language (WHich simulator are you
using?). For instance Cadence's NC-Sim has TCL interface and you could probe
signals with

probe -create ... -vcd

Else you could also do a "watch" on these signals and "re direct" the
outputs to a file and use PERL to extract.

Another elegant option could be to develop a simple C-program to dot his
task and integrate it via the C-API of your simulator. Again this is
Simulator specific.

Finally as a remainder, with the Simulator's interface you have access to
the complete design and not just the interface.

Good Luck.

Srini

Article: 24776