Subject: the timng of the lpm_fifo
From: shengyu_shen@hotmail.com (ssy)
Date: 12 Jan 2002 19:05:07 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi everyone

if any one know the timing of lpm_fifo with signal clock

if it is asyn read and syn write?

Article: 38376
Subject: Re: Repost: Should clock skew be included for setup time analysis?
From: hamish@cloud.net.au
Date: 13 Jan 2002 04:48:34 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Magnus Homann <d0asta@mis.dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:
> hamish@cloud.net.au writes:
>> Our local Xilinx rep looked into this for me and told me that
>> FROM:TO is only intended for use with related clocks, not
>> unrelated clocks like mine. That's OK, but what should I do
>> for unrelated clocks? Obviously these paths still need
>> constraints.

> Are you sure? Whar kind of signal is it?

Am I sure that I need constraints? Most definitely.

Typical example case: I have a high speed clock and a low speed
clock (ratio about 5:1). Let's say the low speed clock is for
CPU access. I need to occasionally get a value from the high
speed clock domain to the low speed clock domain. The value
is changing every clock in the high speed domain, and I need
to get a coherent value into the low speed domain.

So, I generate a pulse in the low speed clock domain. In the
high speed domain, I sample the signal and edge detect it,
and when I see a rising edge, I enable a register which will
hold the value (sample and hold approach). Then a couple
of low speed clock cycles later, I use the held value by
clocking it into flip-flops in the low speed domain.

I need to be able to guarantee that the held value (in the
high speed domain) gets to the low speed flip-flops within
a certain period ie I need a timing constraint for this
path.

Here's a diagram (use a monospaced font to view):

                          FROM:TO needed here
                              <--------->

Changing  HS Signal     HS Sample      LS Sample
every     +-------+     +-------+      +-------+
cycle ----|D     Q|-----|D     Q|------|D     Q|
          |       | +---|CE     | +----|CE     |
Pulse edge detect --+             |