Subject: Re: Asynchronous FIFOs using Handel-C?
From: "Alan Fitch" <alan.fitch@doulos.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:06:42 -0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

"Bernhard Mäder" <nonuschk@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:3ddbcd43$1@news.swissonline.ch...
> > Just drive the gray encoded read/write pointers(addresses) via
FlipFlops,
> > sample them on the other side and reconvert them to binary to
calculate
> the
> > difference between the read/write pointer.
> >
> > No RAM, simple FlipFlops are just right.
> >

> Hmm, is there a possibility to pass (registered) signals to
other clock
> domains in Handel-C? I suggested the mpram version because I
think mprams
> are the only structures available that can be used to pass data
between two
> clock domains.
>

> > We do, and its not such a big issue. Usually you use them as
black boxes,
> > which are supplied by the FPGA/ASIC/whatever  Vendor. Xilinx
has some VHDL
> > sources for asynchronous FIFOs. Have a look at the xapps.
> >

> I have done that, but unfortunately they are all for HDLs and
not
> Handel-C....
>
> The thing is, I know how the fifos should look like in hardware.
What I
> don't know is how to describe them in C.
>
> thx,
> Bernhard

I've been pondering this, and wondering what is a neat answer.
When you say
"asynchronous fifo" do you mean that data is put in to the fifo in
one
clock domain, and received in a different asynchronous clock
domain?

Does the delay matter between clock domains, i.e. does it matter
if clock cycles
are used to resynchronise the data?

Is data transfer one way only?

The reason I ask is that in HandelC it would make sense to use
a channel to send the data from one domain to the other, as that
would
take care of synchronisation - and then use a synchronous FIFO in
the second clock domain (implemented in a RAM). The source will
then automatically block when the channel has not been read, so
you
will have to make sure the data transfer on the source side can
cope
with this.

You will also incur a number of clock cycles delay in the channel,
hence
my question if the delay between the clock domains matters.

Using a shared MPRAM is also a recommended way by Celoxica, but
you need
to make sure

a) you have one in the technology you are using

b) you can cope with overflow /underflow somehow as the pointers
into
the RAM are in the two different clock domains.

To implement the other suggestions people have made (i.e. some
pieces of wire going from one clock domain to the other) you would
need to create two main() functions in two different projects, and
then simulate with the netlist simulator to verify it (or even
better
build it!)

regards

Alan

--
Alan Fitch
[HDL Consultant]

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project
Services

Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire,
BH24 1AW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223                          mail:
alan.fitch@doulos.com
Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573                           Web:
http://www.doulos.com

This e-mail and any  attachments are  confidential and Doulos Ltd.
reserves
all rights of privilege in  respect thereof. It is intended for
the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it
from  your  system, any  use, disclosure, or copying  of this
document is
unauthorised. The contents of this message may contain personal
views which