Subject: Xilinx "length count" question
From: Kevin Klopfenstein <kevin.klopfenstein@si.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:43:36 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

I'm trying to reconcile the length count and final address
of a .mcs file generated by Xilinx's promgen tool.
According to the datasheet for my Xilinx part (XC4020E),
the PROM size requirement is 329,312 bits.  The last
byte address of the .mcs file is 0xA0CC = 41164.  Multiplying
that by 8 bits/byte yields the expected result, 329,312.

The length count field, however, works out to 329,305.  Here's
the second line of my .mcs file:

:10000000FF040AA6F9EAFF7CFDF5D7DF6CF7DDD720

The command used to generate the file was

> promgen -s 512 -u 0 mydesign

It seems to me that the length count should match the PROM
size, shouldn't it?  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Kevin Klopfenstein
Smiths Industries Aerospace