Subject: Re: Looking for 'FREE' FPGA software
From: steve (Steve Rencontre)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00 +0100 (BST)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <395290D2.9DA46960@xilinx.com>, peter@xilinx.com (Peter Alfke)
wrote:

> Without arguing specifically for Xilinx, Altera, Atmel, or any other:
>
> The primary consideration should be the silicon performance,
> availability, and
> pricing.
> The secondary consideration should be the software learning curve, and
> ease of
> use.
> And third you look at software price.
>
> If you are halfway serious about achieving something meaningful,
> and learning something valuable,
> the difference between $100 and zero is "peanuts", i.e. irrelevant.

This is fine if you're a company building something to sell, but for a
hobbyist learning about FPGAs in their spare time, the priorities are
somewhat different.

MaxPlus2 is a nice package to learn on and the price can't be beaten. And
if you're buying one-off from a catalogue company, the chip prices won't
bear much resemblance to the numbers in the press releases :-)

--
Steve Rencontre		http://www.rsn-tech.demon.co.uk
//#include <disclaimer.h>

Article: 23401