Subject: Re: Xilinx config over parallel port ?
From: Rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 00:38:16 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I did not follow this really. Certainly serial programming would be
simpler, but I don't see how you need hardware in any case. I don't
understand what the gate on the PROG- input would do. What do you
connect the other gate input to?

The standard PC parallel port has 8 data pins, 5 control input pins and
4 control output pins. I don't believe he wants to have this connected
to a printer at any time, so all of these pins are up for grabs.

Yes, if he needs all of the parallel port signals then he would need to
connect the pins to both the CCLK, DONE and PROG- pins and general IO
pins. But I will bet that he doesn't need to do this since he will have
more parallel port pins than he will need to transfer data to his design
after being booted.

Ahhhh, now I understand why you want the gate. But I still don't
understand what you will connect the other input to??? If you use a
second parallel port pin, you could just as easily dedicated that pin to
the PROG- signal and left out the gate.

BTW, you can get a single gate in a SC-70 package and use less space
than a transistor which will need a resistor on the base. Of course you
can get the resistor in the same package as the transistor these days,
but I expect the gate will be more likely to be used elsewhere in the
design. I used two of them in my last design (both as inverters).

--

Rick Collins

Specializing in DSP and FPGA design

Arius