Subject: Virtex-E & 5V tolerance
From: Rick Filipkiewicz <rick@algor.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:53:26 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I'm in a situation where we have an ASIC on the motherboard which can be
replaced, for IP development purposes, by an FPGA on a plug-in module.

Unfortunately the module was thought of in the Virtex days, pre -E, &
there isn't a whole lot of room inside the connector ring to put ranks
of QuickQwitch level converters for the external 5V PCI & IO busses.

The data sheet says that 5V tolerance can be re-gained with a 100R
series res.  I assume its to reduce current through the clamp diode.

Does this work o.k. ?

Is 100 a voodoo value that can be made smaller ?

Article: 30676