Subject: Re: Need to speed up Stratix compiles.
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:08:58 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Pete Fraser wrote:

> We're currently running a 3 GHz Pentium with 2 GB
> memory under Windows 2000.
>
> We hope to speed things up by 15-20%, by going
> to AMD X86-64 and / or Linux.
>
> Has anybody tried this?
> Any feedback?

I can't tell you what to expect from an AMD64 with today's software, but
I expect this will be the platform of choice for the next couple of
years.  It may not be the best investment at the moment, but I expect by
the end of the year, much of the software will be optimized for 64 bit
operation and you will see over half the new engineering workstations
running an AMD64 processor.

IIRC, AMD is producing a low cost version of the AMD64.  I expect sales
will take off very quickly.  Once these start showing up on the software
developer's desks we will see them optimizing for it.