Subject: Re: What's wrong with the document?
From: Brian Drummond <brian_drummond@btconnect.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:06:57 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On 5 Dec 2005 14:21:02 -0800, juendme@yahoo.com wrote:

>Second, since obviously not everyone here knows enough about binary
>arithmetics to understand my questions, let me illustrate on an example
>of adding/subtracting 2 3-bit signed numbers:
>
>Using 2's complement representation, we can represent the following
>numbers with 3 bits:
[...]

>To store the valid result, we only need 4 bits.

>However, if one of the numbers is unsigned, 4 bits are not enough. We
>can illustrate that using the following example:

Clearly if you add two sign bits together, you can store the result in
... one sign bit.

And the surprise of this is ... ?

- Brian

Article: 92751
Subject: Re: Virtex-4 DSP48 placement restrictions?
From: Brian Drummond <brian_drummond@btconnect.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:30:31 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:02:43 -0500, Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com> wrote:

>Brian Drummond wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for ideas why a design using 43 DSP48s as multipliers might
>> not fit a V4LX25 with 48 DSPs...

>A couple of possibilities:
>  First, check to make sure you don't have a C port conflict.  The two
>DSP-48's in a single DSP48 slice share the C-Port, so either both must
>use the same value on the CPort, or one must not use the CPort.  The
>software looks for a specific combination of controls for the CPort to
>flag it as unused.  If you don't match the template, it may not allow
>the two DSP48's to occupy the same slice.

Thanks Ray, you were spot on; this was it! I still don't know where to
look for the template, because I am letting the synthesis tools infer
the slice usage.

And it was doing so in a way incompatible with the target part.
So I needed some way of controlling synthesis better than
"mult_style=LUT" or "use_DSP=NO" :-)

And I found it:
(though the label doesn't QUITE describe the problem!)

"Answer Record: 	18498
6.3i XST - XST creates incorrect logic with a multiply subtract function
for Virtex-4" suggests

attribute KEEP: string;
attribute KEEP of mult_registered_output : signal is "true";
which forces the internal adder to be bypassed, thus ensuring neither
mult uses the C port.

If I get into capacity trouble I'll find a way to place this on half of
the identical components, to use the C port in alternate mults, but I'm
OK for now.

Xilinx could definitely improve documentation on this problem; "Keep" is
also mentioned (without linking to further info) as a footnote under
"Use_DSP=NO" which I wouldn't normally have considered, since I NEED the
DSPs... it doesn't appear at all in the "hints on using DSPs" documents
OR the "inferring functions in DSPs" documents where it would actually
be useful.

I'm sure the synthesis tool could also count C ports used as well as
DSPs used, to give a better indication of capacity problems AND a
clearer idea of the solution.

>The second possibility is that if you are using ISE7.1, you have to have
>service pack 4.
Check.

>A third possibility is that the placer doesn't do a very good job
>figuring out placement of DSP48's, especially when there are some
>cascaded.

That was my first thought; hand placing them changed the error message
to the C port one; which with your answer, led me to the solution.

Thanks again,
- Brian

Article: 92752