Subject: Re: Q-bus or Unibus bus transactions in FPGA?
From: "Gabor" <gabor@alacron.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2005 05:45:11 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

GPE wrote:
> I did one in a Xilinx XC3064... many, many years ago.
> Unfortunately, I ditched all the documentation a few years ago... and have
> done a complete brain purge.  Might still have the DEC documentation,
> though.  I'll check on Wednesday.
>
> It wasn't too hard of a bus to interface to and is quite slow.
>
> Good luck,
> Ed

I did interfaces many years ago for both buses using PAL's for logic
and
74F-series parts for bus drive.  Probably 5V 74FCT parts would also
work.
If you're serious about Unibus, you'll need to know that the connector
pin-out
in the DEC documentation is for the bus extender cable and not where a
board plugs in.  A and B connectors are not used for plug-in cards,
only
C, D, E and F.  I got a copy of the magic document from someone who
got it from someone who did PC board work for DEC.

I don't have any of my documentation now except for the Unibus pinout.
You'll
need a copy of the board mechanicals.  For Qbus there used to be
prototyping
breadboards available with holes on 0.1 x 0.1" centers.  If you check
with some
hobby places like Jameco there may still be such things available if
you want
to breadboard your design or just lay out a "daughtercard" to wire down
to the
breadboard.

Good Luck,
Gabor