Subject: Re: PLL design with Xilinx 4kseries
From: Ray Andraka <no_spam_randraka@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 21:33:49 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
HG wrote:

> Neurotech@t-online.de (Neurotech GmbH) wrote:
>
> >Has anybody out there already done a completely digital PLL inside an FPGA
> >?
> >I have to do an XC4028EX and one part of it shall be a programmable PLL
> >with
> >an input clock of about 300kHz and an output of about 10Mhz. But sometimes
> >I need exactly 9.998 MHz, sometimes 10.011 and so on, as precise as
> >possible.
>
> >Any idea ?
> >Holger Schuppan
>
> >Neurotech@T-Online.de
>
> You might consider an fpga to implement the phase detector , digital
> lead lag loop filter and control to an outside direct digital
> synthesizer ic like the analog devices types . Those nco's have 32 bit
> accumulators ,sine rom  and dac included in the ic. They can control
> frequency in 1part in 2**32 from the reference. You need to understand
> how to compute the coefficients of your lead lag filter .

For the DPLL, he really doesn't need an NCO, as the desired output is
simply digital.  If you did use an NCO, moving it outside the FPGA
offers little or no advantage over constructing one in the FPGA.  You
can build an NCO inside an FPGA with performance equal to or better than
many of the dedicated NCO chips (such as the Harris chip) for a fraction
of the cost.  I recently did an NCO with a 32 bit phase accumulator,
with ability for Amplitude and phase modulation.  That little guy has
quadrature sinsuoid outputs accurate to 12 bits in magnitude and 7 bits
in phase angle and runs at a sample rate over 50 MHz in a Xilinx
4KE-2.   Doing it in in a -1 or in an EX, or XV part gets even better
performance. The precision can be extended with minimal effect on the
performance.  I fit two such NCOs, plus a pair of 12x12 bit multipliers
and some other logic in a 4025E.  You can get the NCO to fit in a 4008
with room to spare.  Performance wise, this competes with some of the
dedicated chips at a fraction of the cost.  (Hint, the key to the
performance and compact size is the use of the CORDIC algorithm to
convert phase and amplitude to IQ samples).

Now for the DPLL, you need to be concerned with jitter in the DPLL.  To
make the DPLL of any use for most applications, the master clock has to
be much larger than the maximum output frequency.  This is because as
the output frequency approaches the clock frequency you get lots of
jitter (due to quantum nature of the clock period).  Operating the FPGA
at 160 MHz gets just barely acceptable DPLL performance for a 10MHz
output, and represents a sizable design challenge.  I've done DPLLs in
FPGAs, but the output frequencies have mostly been in the sub MHz region
and the clocks have been much more than 10x the output frequencies.
Unless you are prepared to accept alot of jitter, less precision on the
output frequencies or both you would probably be better advised to use
an external analog PLL.  You can get away with a simple clock lock PLL
like the IDT88951 and use a pair of loadable counters in the FPGA to
turn it into a programmable frequency synthesizer (I've done this
recently using lattice 1032E's to create a frequency synthesizer)

http://users.ids.net/~randraka
Article: 9351