Subject: Re: In the news
From: kolja@prowokulta.org
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:48:07 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=USRE034363__
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US04642487__

The second patent by William S. Carter contains claims for configurable
logic arrays in general and therefore could be attacked with
publications in the field of cellular automata from the sixties and
seventies. (von Neuman,  Schaffner, Minnik, ...)

The claims are for a logic array that contains a general interconnect
structure as well as a special interconnect structure. Most
work from the sixties will have only one or the other, but one
might be able to find some weird publication that proposes to
use both.

The other patent is not as vulnerable to this attack, because it
restricts itself to integrated circuits.
Although one could try to attack on the basis that the restriction
to integrated circuits is not relevant to the invention.

I hope that Altera succeeds in attacking these patents.

In article <8van4k$t66$1@news.inet.tele.dk>,
  "Dines Justesen" <dcj_k@rescom.dk> wrote:
> > While I could make quite a few comments on this,
> > I think I will just give you the link:
> >

> >    http://www.xilinx.com/prs_rls/xilinxwin.htm
>
> Alteras response is here:
>
> http://www.altera.com/html/new/pressrel/pr_litigation1.html