Subject: Re: a quick searching problem
From: nweaver@ribbit.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Nicholas C. Weaver)
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:24:44 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
This may be a homework problem, but it is summer school, so why not?
I'm bored.

In article <7b390929.0308100714.550cc60a@posting.google.com>,
Zhen <zhenxu2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>There are two vectors, named V1 and V2, the sizes of which are 1*M and
>1*N, respectively. We have known that there is at most one common
>element in both vectors. I am looking for the quick algorithm to
>search this common element.

If the arrays are sortable, you could sort V1 and V2 in
O(n lg(n) + m lg(m)) time and once thats complete, compare the two
sorted arrays sequentially, moving forward one step at a time, so
O(n + m) steps for comparison once the array is sorted.

>The general algorithm is to compare every element in V1 with each
>element in V2. the comparison complexity will be O(M*N). Is there any
>efficient method to complete it?
>I hope it can be done in FPGA. If M=N=60, and each element is 20 bit
>long,there isn't enough pins for the general search algorithms at one
>time. It need some loops to do it. So I am looking for an efficient
>algorithm and expect that the common element can be found in around
>10ns~50ns. Is it possible?

Systolic. The brute force comparison is O(M*N) in TIME * SPACE.  Thus
if you have 1 comparison cell, it takes O(M*N) time.  But if you have
N comparison cells, each holding one of the element, it takes O(M)
time and O(N) FPGA resources.