Subject: Re: LEON processor core
From: "Martin Schoeberl" <mschoebe@mail.tuwien.ac.at>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:12:37 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
>> I'm wondering why there are so few messages about LEON [1]
>> in this group. LEON looks like a very solid design (used
>> by the ESA) and it is available in a GPL version.
>> Could be a vendor independent replacement of NIOS/MicroBlaze
>> with a path to an ASIC.
>> The configuration is done via a simple Tcl/Tk script and
>> the Makefile contains several targets. Works out-of-the-box
>> for available tragets. Adaption to a new FPGA board [2] took
>> me a few (some) hours - not so bad.
>>
>> What's your experience?
>>
>> Martin
>>

> 2 hours is correct, that what it usually takes to port LEON to new hardware.

than you are way smarter than me ;-)

> and the best thing is the LEON system can run FULL MMU enabled linux
> in spartan3 or any other low cost FPGA!

Do you know the minimum amount of RAM one needs to run Linux or eCos?

Subject: Re: using EDK with the gcc -g option...
From: me_2003@walla.co.il
Date: 13 Mar 2006 02:14:16 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I tried compiling an example code both with -g and without and
then I run the "objdump -S" and I saw that the result looked almost the

same for both resultant .elf files. It was actually the file without
the -g option that had some more lines... how can it be so ? I expected

the file with the -g option to be bigger and more specified, can
someone please advise? maybe I need to use more switches for the
objdump in order to see the debug symbols ?
Thanks, Mordehay.

Article: 98577
can you recommend a book on FPGA design implementation, that touches the
  following issues:

-floorplanning (methodologies, tools)
-p&r
-clocking tree synthesis
-test

thanks in advance.

regards,
dominik

Article: 98578
> I tried compiling an example code both with -g and without and
> then I run the "objdump -S" and I saw that the result looked almost the
>
> same for both resultant .elf files. It was actually the file without
> the -g option that had some more lines... how can it be so ? I expected
>
> the file with the -g option to be bigger and more specified, can
> someone please advise? maybe I need to use more switches for the
> objdump in order to see the debug symbols ?
> Thanks, Mordehay.

The -g option doesn't change the code. It adds symbol tables so that
data addresses and instruction address points to the source and names
within the source code.

The .elf files becomes much larger due to this but the objdump -S should
stay the same.

This is from the gcc manual

> -g
> Produce debugging information in the operating system's native format (stabs, COFF, XCOFF, or DWARF 2). GDB can work with this debugging information.
> On most systems that use stabs format, -g enables use of extra debugging information that only GDB can use; this extra information makes debugging work better in GDB but will probably make other debuggers crash or refuse to read the program. If you want to control for certain whether to generate the extra information, use -gstabs+, -gstabs, -gxcoff+, -gxcoff, or -gvms (see below).
>
> GCC allows you to use -g with -O. The shortcuts taken by optimized code may occasionally produce surprising results: some variables you declared may not exist at all; flow of control may briefly move where you did not expect it; some statements may not be executed because they compute constant results or their values were already at hand; some statements may execute in different places because they were moved out of loops.
>
> Nevertheless it proves possible to debug optimized output. This makes it reasonable to use the optimizer for programs that might have bugs.

Göran Bilski

Article: 98579