Subject: Re: Bit Serial Arithmetic De-mystified
From: sja@gte.net (Steven J. Ackerman)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 02:03:11 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 20:51:43 -0500, rk <stellare@nospam.erols.com>
wrote:

>Bob Cain wrote:
>
>> The first "home computer" that I know of was built by Don Hitt of IBM in
>> the early sixties out of a recirculating acoustic delay line with a
>> discrete component one bit ALU.  The architecture was ingeniously simple
>> and it was at least a Turing.  Programming it so that the data and
>> instruction you needed next was always close upstream was quite a
>> challenge though.
>
>More silly trivia ...
>
>The computer in the Saturn V launch vehicle was a serial machine - for example,
>a 26-bit add would take 82 us.
>
>Also, glass ultrasonic delay lines were used to improve reliability.  The main
>memory was duplex core.
>
>And, lastly, the computer was designed by IBM.
>
>Have a good evening,
>
>rk

Back in the mid-70s at the University of Florida, I worked as an
undergraduate on a project called CASSM - Context Addressed Segment
Sequential Memory.  Basically it was a fixed-head disc with multiple
bit serial processors - one per head - that could process a database
query against the entire disk's data in a single revolution. It used a
40-bit word and was implement with boards of TTL logic - the whole
shebang was interfaced to a Data General Nova minicomputer for I/O and
software development.

Anyway, I implemented many bit-serial adders/comparators/etc., and
used large shift registers to simulate the disk memory for development
and testing. As of last year, there was some discussion of
implementing this same bit-serial processing capability in DRAMs -
which have to be refreshed anyways - to process data in place, in the
memory device without moving it back and forth thru the main
processor.

--
Steven J. Ackerman, Consultant
ACS, Sarasota, FL