Subject: Re: How to connect a clock to a non-clock pad ?
From: Joey Oravec <joey@sun.science.wayne.edu>
Date: 3 Sep 2001 05:04:08 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Rick Filipkiewicz <rick@algor.co.uk> wrote:
:> I need to use more than 4 clocks in my design. The synthesis tool
:> (Foundation series) complains about the resource (clock) while I try for
:> implementing my design since there are 4 dedicated clock inputs ONLY
:> (Virtex-E , V1000).
:
: By default most synth tools automatically detect clock nets and assign
: whatever global buffers are available to them. In your case you have to
: decide which clocks are less important and turn this off.

I'm back to college so I don't have a SynPro license anymore to test the
syn_noclockbuf however that's not exactly the behavior I understood.

On most parts, you can think of the dedicated input pads and the global
buffer as different things. In many cases you want to use a dedicated
GCLKIOB pad for a conventional clock or reset signal. In other cases you
will use a normal pad, do some more asic-minded gating, then run the
"rightmost" actual clock network into a BUFG for good distribution. In the
latter case you could use a BUFG but not the dedicated input.

With Synplicity there are at least two important constratints, xc_padtype
and syn_noclockbuf. A signal will be defined as a clock if it is
autodetected or listed in the SCOPE definitions. On most designs though,
the xc_padtype will be most important so you can specify which ones get
the dedicated input pins. There are relatively few times I can think of
for syn_noclockbuf since you almost always want to use the good resources
if they're available.

The original poster's error actually sounds to me like too many GCLKIOBs
are being used which I frequently saw when using dc_shell. The solution
there might be to define -no_clock everything then define -clock the
signals that you want as GCLKIOBs. Neither FPGA Express nor Synplicity
gave me that too-many-used problem; the only time I had to constrain was
when I wanted specific signals to use the resource instead.

It helps to mention what synth tool is being used to make an EDIF, I
didn't see that in the original post.

--
  O..O    Arcade machine collection:
 (----)        http://www.science.wayne.edu/~joey/arcade/