Subject: another from newbie
From: "Jimmy Zhang" <zhengyu@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:39:55 GMT

  I would also like to know if anyone is aware of PCI FPGA card where the
reconfiguration of FPGA card can be done from the devices calls via PCI
interface.

Jimmy

Article: 41176
Subject: Re: more questions
From: hmurray-nospam@megapathdsl.net (Hal Murray)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:47:27 -0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
>Unlikely, for any PCI implementation I would think.  You can get that
>in a burst, but I doubt you will achieve sustained transfers of that
>magnitude.  Anyone got any experience of real-world sustained
>transfer rates on PCI?

It depends...

Are you doing reads from device and writes to memory?  That
direction pipelines nicely.  You can get close to burst rate
if you use large blocks.

Writes to a device (reads from memory) are usually much
slower because of memory latency.  Half of the burst rate
is a good guess.

Servers are often slower than small PCs/workstations because
they have a more complicated (and hence slower) memory system.
But sometimes they are willing to do a lot of prefetching
so as long as you use big transfers, they get good bandwidth
reading from memory.