Subject: Re: Altera Quartus or MAX Plus?
From: Rene Tschaggelar <tschaggelar@dplanet.ch>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:09:12 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Lyndon Amsdon wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>The only solution is buying a programmer, but it's unreasonable.
>>I think is better you buy some other device that you can program with
>>Byteblaster interface.
>

> I've come to this conclusion too.  I originally wanted to use Altera
> just because they still had support for 5v logic levels on their
> outputs.  I'm now thinking maybe I should just use something like
> Xilinx CPLDs which I believe have 5v TTL tolerant inputs and set
> outputs open collector with a external pullup.  I know the support for
> Xilinx is huge.

BTW, Altera still have 5V logic, eg the Max7000S series.
The Max3000A series runs on 3.3v, but is 5v compatible.

Rene

Subject: Re: distributed computing with Modesim
From: johnjakson@yahoo.com (john jakson)
Date: 26 Dec 2002 14:05:20 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

> Not all C models are free since most of them will embed license checks
> in the generated C or Asm code.
>
> > I personally wouldn't do any project without a V2C compiler. C sims
> > for most of the work, Verilog for detailed checks. Of course this is
> > really meant for simpler clock schemes that have predicable time
> > flows.
>
> Do you know any free Verilog to C tools?
>
> The optimization methods you have described are not mutually
> exclusive. They could all be applied to each node in a cluster.
>
> Petter

I believe there are a few Verilog to C compilers out there besides the
one I developed for myself. Tenison comes to mind. Maybe Icarus?
Search through the verilog open sw

My own tool V2C may get GPLed one day, in the mean time I use it for
an RTL subset of Verilog. Since I am an old schematic physical
instance devices guy, I don't support any behavioural parts of Verilog
or the always @ operator. Right now it supports hierarchy smashing,
continuos assignments and instanced FFs. Complex Verilog wire
expressions are fine. This type of Verilog is easy to schematic (if
need be) & synthesize.

So for instance a tiny state machine example would look like

module sm (CK, Clr, ins.., outs ... );
	input ....; output ...; // etc
	wire x,x_; // x is the FFed state, x_ will be the next x state
	assign x_ = ..Clr....ins.... x ......; // whatever
	assign outs = ... x .... x_ ....// whatever
	EFF ux (CK,Clr, x_,x);		// EFF and others CKed elements are C macros
endmodule

This sort of Verilog is usually expressed by other coders by always
inlining the FF internal code that must use always @ with the rest of
state machine code. I don't like that style since it makes all code
into FF variant code, & usually takes several times more source as
well. By using explicit FF instances, I can ignore most of the complex
Verilog semantic issues. As a Verilog user, I want to know exactly how
many flops in a design.

The Master Slave behaviour is expressed by the various FF macro calls
and the final clock macro at end of code. This is currently limited to
1 CK, although multiple CKs could be added with some work or by using
distibuted decoded ENs to gate CK.

the above is smashed and gives simple C output in same assignment
order and included into the C main

ulong CK,Clr,ins..,outs..,x,x_,...
x_ = ..Clr....ins.... x ......; // changing Verilog syntax to C syntax
EFF(Clr,x_,x);

The biggest issue is that of levelization, assignments must be in time
order of signal. Even more so, no signal can loop across hierarchy
without being FFed to preserve same cycle timing. Signals are limited
to 32 bits. Macros are used in the C output to do Verilog bit level
correct packing, so { [:],,[] {..} [:] } expressions are ok.

I will probably add levelization, arbitrary bit widths >>32, easier
inline C code, and many more features, but I will not likely add
always @ since I am not in the true Verilog compiler business.

Anyway, its free for me, it runs circles around Modelsim speed, the
code is trivial to synth in FPGA Express, great for DSPs, 1M CK cycles
runs in a few mins, typical 60 x86 ops per Verilog statement, so 16M
statements per/sec or more. Even compiles about 1MByte/sec.

end of ad

Article: 51027