Subject: Re: How to set block ram contents ?
From: brimdavis@aol.com (Brian Davis)
Date: 29 Dec 2001 19:05:19 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
> I generate code from an assembler that's then run through a
> little utility to create a series of "INIT_xx=" attributes.
> Is it possible to script the update so that I don't have to
> key anything ? I think I have seen posted before that it's
> possible to modify the bitstream (using a program) to do this.
> I'd like to automate the whole thing if possible. (My coding
> skills are expert C/C++ preferred and I'm not afraid to hack
> things as long as I have the info..).

 Another method, besides FPGA Editor, would be the XDL ASCII design
language; alas, it is also missing from the Webpack tools.

 XDL is a nifty ASCII <-> NCD conversion utility that was supplied
and documented in the xilinx/userware/doc directory of the 2.1i
release; the executable is still supplied sans documentation
( other than its' built in help ) in the later versions.

 Also note, if you try the FPGA Editor trick with 2.1i ( i.e. the
student edition tools), the INIT attributes can not be edited
properly within the FPGA Editor, see Xilinx solution record 7167
in the answers archive ( I don't think they ever fixed that
in any 2.1i service packs ).

 Your best bet may be to use Jbits or hack your own bitstream
editor as you mention; I think the Xilinx app notes on Virtex
bitstreams give enough information to do this.

 When I started using block RAMs for my own processor tinkering,
I came up with a mental list of ways to get the bits into their
proper places, which went something like this:

 1) VHDL file generator, constant array for simulation & inferred RAMs
 2) VHDL file generator, INIT attributes for instantiated RAMs
 3) FPGA Editor command script
 4) XDL based NCD file editing
 5) homebrew bitstream mangler

 In the real world, once I had #2 working, the first 'real' program I
wrote was a tiny debug monitor, which lets me download over an RS232 link.
Once that was working, I never got around to writing any of the others...

 A small 'copy N bytes of data from the serial port into RAM & execute'
bootstrap routine would fit in even less space than a tiny monitor; a
small ROM built with a single bank of 32 x instruction_width CLB ROM's
would probably hold it with room to spare, leaving the entire block RAM
free for user code.

Brian

Article: 38001