Subject: Re: SONET/SDH chipset on FPGA
From: mrand@my-deja.com (Marc Randolph)
Date: 2 Jun 2003 07:19:00 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Utku Ozcan <utku.ozcan@netas.com.tr.spamela> wrote in message news:<3EDB13E8.A51C06D4@netas.com.tr.spamela>...
> I'm in the same opinion Neeraj does. SDH implementations in FPGAs require
> good FPGA engineering, especially at higher rates. I had been involved
> for an STM-16 mapper device to be implemented in XCV2000E 2 years ago
> and the design required extremous routing resources.
>
> The point is that OSI-layer 1 protocols like SDH require huge monitoring
> functions. The protocol implementation is not a big issue. But payload
> mappings are complex, alarm monitoring and other trace buffers require
> enormous FPGA area (RAM mostly) + routing.
>
> You must think about which functions are necessary. Unnecessary functions
> must be dropped out of design.
>
> A high-tech additional FPGA engineer is a must to map the design into an
> FPGA technology. It is not easy to meet timing constraints SDH protocol
> requires.
>
> Utku

I agree with you that framing is a minor part of SONET/SDH compared to
monitoring, mapping, and pointer processing.  But meeting timing for
such functions is completely a dependant of the coding style.  IE,
there is no reason that meeting timing has to be difficult.  Just
pipeline, pipeline, pipeline!  After all, for functions like these,
flops are free compared to LUTs.

   Marc

Article: 56276