Subject: Re: for all those who believe in ASICs....and can't stop ranting
From: Austin Lesea <austin@xilinx.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:19:29 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
John,

How much is Altera paying you?

Subject: Re: for all those who have stopped listening, and are ranting now...
From: "Peter Alfke" <peter@xilinx.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2006 11:23:45 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Without EasyPath any production device with any known defect (that is
not covered by an errata note) goes into the garbage can.
That has been and will remain our policy, and I assume the policy of
any reputable IC manufacturer.

EasyPath allows us to test only the relevant subset of the chip's
functionality (as needed by the specific user).
This increases yield for large devices significantly (hardly any gain
for small chips), and that higher yield means lower cost to us, and
supports a lower selling price. This should be understandable to
anybody with a high-school education.