Subject: Re: setup and hold time violation
From: Ray Andraka <randraka@ids.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:42:31 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
THe problem is the design you've done in the FPGA.  The maximum clock speed
of a particular FPGA design depends on the design implementation as much or
even more than the data sheet 'system clock' rate parameter.  In the case
of the counter, the design is probably using the fast carry chain for a
ripple carry between synchronous counter stages.  The Logiblox updown
counter macro is not a very efficient implementation, as it requires two
levels of logic, plus it uses an OR gate on the common clock enable input.
The design is already somewhat floorplanned.

For maximum performance, you would probably want to redo the counter design
using only the features you really need.  If you want a loadable up-down,
it will be two levels of logic, but in that case you can move the load
logic (if you are cute about how you do it) to the input side of the carry
chain so that is not in the critical carry path.  For 30 MHz performance,
you probably don't have to do that.   The propagation delay between
registers determines your performance, and as such the performance is
dependent on the number of bits in the counter.  If the counter has many
bits, you can pipeline the carry between two smaller counters at the cost
of more latency from count enable to output.

For the 30 MHz performance, most likely all you will need to do is reduce
the levels of logic in the controls.  Register the up-down control and
floorplan its location so that the register is immediately adjacent to the
LSB of the counter.  Your critical path is probably through that up-down
logic, to one of the LSBs then up the carry chain to the msb and then to
the register.  BY keeping that path local, you'll eliminate long routing
delays.  If you are using the CE, clear or other controls, you'll also want
to register those close to the counter for the same reason.

You can get a better feel of where the problems are if you run TRCE (the
timing analyzer) with the reporting options set for no limit and the report
for failures (in the timing analysis GUI, set limit=none under the options
menu then under the analysis menu select timing analysis-> paths failing
timing constraints.

Also, If you have not set timing constraints, you should do that before
doing redesign or floorplanning.  you may be able to get it to go at 30 MHz
just by doing that if you don't already have a constraint.  A simple period
constraint will probably be sufficient.

redbens@my-deja.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a little design (a Logiblox updown counter plus a vhdl based
> macro to give the updown signal to the counter).
> The functional simulation works fine but when I use the timing
> simulation I have a setup and hold time violation with a clock
> frequency of 30 MHz. When I use a clock of 20Mhz the design works fine!
>
> I know from the data book that the fpga I am targeting (XC4000E) can be
> clocked up to 80MHz. So what is the problem here and what can I do to
> resolve it.
>
> Thank you in advance for your answer.
>
> Red.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/