Subject: Re: Virtex E:Sample price
From: Peter Alfke <peter.alfke@xilinx.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:26:03 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Eric Smith wrote:

> > The -6 would be about half that price...
>
> Speaking of which, why are the speed grades -5 and -6?

Virtex has speed grades -4, -5,and -6
Virtex-E has -6,-7. and -8
Virtex-II lists -4,-5, and -6 today, expect faster once we are in volume
production.

In my opinion, these are just numbers, the higher the number, the faster.

I have long given up trying to see a physical significance.

Xilinx started with the noble idea of designating parts by max toggle rate (
-30, -50, -70, but users misread that as systems clock rate promise, and
attacked us for the "exaggeration" ( today, we would have to call the fastest
Virtex-II " -850" )

Then we changed to prop delay in ns through a look-up table, starting with -5
down to -1 and then -9, meaning 0.9 ns. Now we are at 0.4 ns, so that didn't
work either.

Now we just use numbers without any physical meaning. But larger again means
faster and more expensive, you can rely on that.