Subject: Re: CSV files available for Xilinx FPGA parts pinouts?
From: "Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)" <steve.knapp@xilinx.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2006 17:11:20 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I forgot to add that these links are also in the pinout section (Module
4) of both the Spartan-3 and Spartan-3E data sheets.

Article: 98751
Subject: Re: fpga to 5v ttl logic
From: Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:45:31 +1300
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
metal wrote:
<snip>
> ps;  jim is right, I had specifically mentioned a 64-128 cell part;
> not a 3,000 register fpga.  In which case, using cells for timers eats
> up a $10 chip REAL fast....while the silicon cost for a few 16b hard
> counters on a chip like that would be near-zero...

In the current CPLD area, there are two lower cost solutios to this.

  Xilinx's larger CoolRunner2 (but NOT the 32/64MC ones IIRC) have
a tapped dedicated divider, so you can get a simple CLK/n without
loosing macrocells.

  Atmel's macrocells allow you to logic double, so you can bury simple
counter registers, and still use the OR portion or the IO pins.
  Not quite free, but does allow you to use a smaller CPLD.