Subject: Re: Xilinx Alliance 2.1i Virus
From: "peter dudley" <padudle@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:26:28 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Yes, Norton Antivirus found that file on my PC and I deleted it. I don't
think it can do any harm unless you expand the .zip file.

    Pete Dudley

Steve Gross <gross@pa.msu.edu> wrote in message
> I just now got a package from Xilinx noting the presence of a virus on the
> Alliance 2.1i and Foundation 2.1i CP, Solaris, and HP CD-ROMs.
>
> A couple of points:
>
> 1. For those of you who haven't received the package, look for the file:
>
> $XILINX/userware/training/virtex_arch.zip
>
>    Xilinx says that if you don't have the file, you don't have the virus.
>
> 2. The virus is supposed to be a "nonharmful, nondestructuve" Microsoft
>    Excel macro virus.  How is it an issue on HP or Solaris platforms (last
>    I knew, Microsoft hadn't released Excel for Unix)?
>
> -Steve Gross

Article: 18276
Subject: Re: Altera 10K50V in-rush/temp problem...
From: "Dave Krueger" <dave@kruegerphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:32:55 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Our solution was to change out the worst date codes and beef up the power
supply to be able to deliver the current.  Since the spike is short, the
power supply doesn't have to deliver the current very long so heat
dissipation wasn't a problem.

Altera is due to visit with their recommendations tomorrow.

-Dave

> This would be a killer problem in some applications. Is there a way to
avoid
> or prevent the problem other than having a big enough power supply to plow
> its way through the problem?
>
> Bob W.

Article: 18277