Subject: Re: MaxPlus9.5 License and Fitter problems
From: Ray Andraka <randraka@ids.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 00:07:50 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Tim wrote:

> Oh, I did have to turn off the Quartus fitter to make the timing
> requirement in a design that easily makes the timing requirements in
> 9.3.
>
> Up to 25xs faster compile....the gods of marketing are feeling playful
> today.

This is not my experience at all.  I found 9.5 to compile quite a bit faster (a
few hours instead of days for a 10K250 design), and the result was better.  25x
might be a stretch, but my results certainly indicate that it is in the
ballpark.  9.5 also made timing on the first pass where 9.3 wouldn't make timing
no matter what I did.  That was mostly because the designs I was dealing with
were heavily arithmetic (some 70% of the used LEs in arithmetic mode), and for
some reason 9.3 pushes additional pipeline registers toward the previous
flip-flop instead toward the combinatorial logic leading up to the next
register.  Where that combinatorial logic is a carry chain and the previous
flip-flop is in another row, this is a problem.

One thing I did notice with 9.5 is that you have to have the timing driven route
turned on.  It doesn't seem to work well without timing guidelines (In fact 9.3
seems to generate better non-timing constrained results, even if it takes a bit
longer).  9.5 also ignores any cliques you have in the design, but then it was
never really clear that 9.3 really followed them anyway.

http://users.ids.net/~randraka

Article: 21876