Subject: Re: FPGA Express, Xilinx, and Powerview
From: Philip Freidin <philip@fliptronics.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 17:34:03 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

I'll try and help by pointing you at the programs that are needed, but I
wasted an 2 hours today, unsuccessfully putting an example together for
you. The answer is probably somewhere in the documentation, but I couldn't
find it.

UPDATE: I couldn't believe that I was posting a reply without the
actual answer. I went back and beat on it a lot more, and have
something like an answer. I hope it helps.

On 06 Sep 2000 13:34:49 -0600, Erik Brunvand <elb@telemark.cs.utah.edu> wrote:

>Hi -
>
>I've been trying to use FPGA_Express v3.1 with Powerview v6.1 on a
>Solaris machine and am running into an annoying problem.

So my test environment was ePD 1.1 , and M3.1i , and FPGA express 3.4 ,
on a pentium, running Windows 2000, but other than that, identical to
your situation.

>Here's the setup: I have a schematic in Viewdraw that contains some
>components out of the xc4000x library and a number of symbols, each of
>which represents some VHDL code. I'd like to take one of those pieces
>of VHDL, run it through FPGA_Express, and then simulate again using
>the synthesized circuit instead of the VHDL code. Basically, I want to
>incrementally replace VHDL code with circuits synthesized by
>FPGA_Express. Eventually, I'll be generating an EDIF file of the whole
>circuit (that contains some Xilinx components directly, and some
>synthesized pieces) and running it through Xilinx place and route.

So the goal I can help you with is to simulate (with viewsim) a piece
of vhdl, post synthesis.

Your other goal of then getting a netlist of this simulatable
design into the Xilinx tools is not achievable. I'll explain later why.

So I created a test design in verilog and pushed it through FE and got
an EDIF file. I created a dummy schematic project with the hope of getting a
schematic of the synthesized verilog.

>Here's the problem: When I run a design through FPGA_express with
>Xilinx XC4010XL as a target, the tool ONLY wants to generate an xnf
>file! What I need is an EDIF file! (actually, what I need is a wir
>file, but Powerview can read an EDIF file and turn it into a wir
>file).

right.

>So, a couple questions:
>1 - Is there a way to force FPGA_express v3.1 to produce an EDIF file
>instead of an XNF file if your target is a Xilinx chip?

No. But it doesn't matter.

>2 - Is there something else that I'm just being stupid and overlooking
>about this process?

You aren't stupid (at least not on this topic). The documentation just sucks.
Big time.

>Thanks!
>				-Erik

So a solution is coming, but let's review the difference in our setups. I
believe that none of these differences are significant to your problem,
and the solution I am presenting, but I list it anyway, just in case.

(recommend mono spaced font here)

Me                You
PC-Pentium        Sun-Sparc
W2000             Solaris
EPD 1.1           Powerview 6.1
Viewdraw 7.7.0    Viewdraw x.xx
FE  3.4           FE 3.1
FE output EDIF    FE output XNF
Target 4013XLA    Target 4010XL
Xilinx M3.1i      Xilinx Mx.1
Verilog -> SCH    VHDL -> SCH
Line sep CRLF     LF

So here are the steps:

Directories in the viewdraw.ini file :
DIR [pw] .
DIR [rm] G:\Xilinx\viewlog\data\xc4000x (xc4000x)
DIR [r] G:\Xilinx\viewlog\data\logiblox (logiblox)
DIR [rm] G:\Xilinx\viewlog\data\simprims (simprims)
DIR [rm] G:\Xilinx\viewlog\data\builtin (builtin)
DIR [rm] G:\Xilinx\viewlog\data\xbuiltin (xbuiltin)

Push your HDL through FE, remember to set the
option to disable adding I/O pads to the design.

Run NGDBUILD, with a command line like :

ngdbuild -p XC4013XLA-07-PQ208 -u test1.xnf test1.ngd

This translates your source to NGD. (in my case, it was
test1.edf, but the result is still .NGD

Translate NGD to EDIF :

ngd2edif -w -n -v viewlog test1.ngd test1

This creates an EDIF file, called test1.edn. The logic
in this file is all made up of SIMPRIM primitives. This
is why we wont be able to netlist the schematic at the
end, for place and route. SIMPRIM things can only be used
for simulation. (In my first draft of this message, I had
a tirade about how stupid it is that ngd2edif creates edif
that cant be processed by ngdbuild (how hard would it be to
have ngdbuild recognize simprim primitives), or since there
is a perfectly fine library of basic functions in xc4000x
library, use these instead of simprims. I went on to comment
that this had been pointed out several times to people at
Xilinx, and the response was it was easier for them to
maintain it as a separate library. I finished up with a
comment about how nice it would be if Xilinx's developers
had to use their programs to get their job done. In the end,
I decided that this was not the place for that tirade, and I
removed it.)

Now we need to translate the EDIF to a WIR file.

Run the edif netlist reader (edifneti) on the edn file,
(run it in your project directory, the one with sch/sym/wir
subdirectories)

Something like :

edifneti test1.edn

This should result in a file test1.1 in your WIR directory

Now convert this to a schematic:
(run it in your project directory, the one with sch/sym/wir
subdirectories)

viewgen test1 test1 -makesym

(you may not want to create a symbol, since you already have one
for the VHDL code)

There is probably some more screwing around to be done with
command line options to edifneti and viewgen, to control
	number of schematic pages
	creation on a top level symbol
	using EDIF rename
	combining nets into busses
	library alias selection
	matching net names on the created schematic to pins
		on the symbols
	Sheet size
	getting VSM to netlist this correctly.

So that is at least a guide to your simulation problem. On to
compilation. I believe that at the moment you have a SCH top level
with VHDL modules linked in by a symbol, and some real schematic
design. This is compilable. You process each VHDL module separately,
resulting in .XNF files, and when you netlist your top level
schematic, the resultant file has calls to the external XNF files.
Ngdbuild, given the schematic netlist then pulls in the XNF files
to build the complete chip.

When you netlist the schematic, one of the settings is a level
command that stops the netlister from digging down to simulation
primitives. It stops at the next level up, which are the gate
primitives that ngdbuild will be expecting, plus the references
to external XNF modules. As explained far above, the schematics
created through
   FE -> ngdbuild -> ngd2edif -> edifneti -> viewgen
do not have the gate primitives that ngdbuild wants.

So no matter what you do, you still need the XNF files. But
if you put a gate level simulation model below the VHDL place holder
symbol, it will get netlisted too, which will blow up ngdbuild.
But you need this to happen for simulation (different netlister, VSM).
So here's an idea: On your VHDL symbols that have simulation model
under them, as described above, add an attribute "LEVEL=XILINX".
This is the flag to the netlister (for P&R, not VSM) not to dig
any deeper. This will let you P&R with the external XNF files, but
also run VSM and simulate your design.

(another tirade/rant was here, but it go deleted too)

Mindspring that acquired Earthlink that acquired Netcom has
decided to kill off all Shell accounts, including mine.

My new primary email address is    philip@fliptronics.com

I'm sure the inconvenience to you will be less than it is for me.
Article: 25401