Subject: Re: Low-power FPGA
From: "Morten Leikvoll" <mleikvol@online.nospam>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:37:28 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Arash Salarian" <arash dot salarian at epfl dot ch> skrev i melding
> Hi,
>
> What's your suggestion for a low-power, battery operated FPGA design? What
> family do you suggest? I guess the design should need something like
20K~30K
> gates (yeah, I know this does not all that correct but I've not syntesized
> the design yet and can't give a good estimate on number of LEs or FFs...).
> From what I've seen in data-sheets, besides the power consumption, one
major
> concern is the power-up and configuration current for SRAM based devices.
> Also I'd like to have the minimum number of VCC voltages on the board and
> other parts used in the design are 3.3v and can be safely run using a
single
> rechargable battery with no need for DC-DC converter circuit (it means
that
> they can work from 2.7v to 4.1v with no problem).

I would check out the Xilinx's Coolrunner family (1.6-3.6v)

Article: 57251
Subject: Re: Xilinx Webpack bugs bugs bugs
From: "Patrick MacGregor" <patrickmacgregor@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:41:36 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

"Martin Thompson" <martin.j.thompson@trw.com> wrote in message
> "Patrick MacGregor" <patrickmacgregor@comcast.net> writes:
> <snip>
> > I also can't buy into the HDL argument.  The reason is simple.  If you
were
> > a software developer and you needed your code to be as small as possible
and
> > run as fast as possible, what language would you use?  Well, every
software
> > developer I've ever met answers the same -- native assembly language for
the
> > processor in question.  No compiled code will be more efficient because
of
> > the layers of abstraction that higher level languages impose.  The
embedded
> > developers I've worked with always got a good chuckle out of their C
> > language counterparts sucking up 100's of kilobytes of memory compared
> > the few K that their assembly code needed.
> >

> The point as already been made that very few people write the whole
> thing in assembly.
>
> > HDL is the same.  You abstract designs (so that non-designers can
pretend to
> > be designers I suppose) and pay a penalty by having circuit bloat.  If
you
> > want the smallest design possible, and want it to run as fast as
possible,
> > you need to use the design equivalent of assembly coding -- i.e.
schematics.
> > A picture is worth a thousand words, so you can make a picture or type a
> > thousand words.  Which one will be easier for someone else to
understand,
> > hmm?
> >

> HDL doesn't force abstration - you can write gate-level HDL.  There
> are illustrious people populating this group who frequently do the
> "design equivalent of assembly coding" in HDL.

HDL by its very nature is abstraction in the same way that C abstracts from
assembly.  You describe logic and let some piece of software try to figure
out what it means.

> Come to think of it, last time I did a schematic I used the
> "abstraction" of a counter block, which hides flops inside it.  Only
> if you know how to make a counter do you know "where every flop is".
> And that's the same in HDL - I know I've written code that will mean a
> counter gets built, so I know what flops there are there.

Hierarchies are not abstractions.  Punch down into the counter to see the
design.  Sadly, these days it will probably be an HDL, so if a newbie wants
to learn about counter design, it won't help any.

I've used numerous counter types to solve different prolbems.  T-FF based,
Johnson counters, D-FF based.  Each has a place if you know how they are
built and what their tradeoffs are.

> <snip>
>

> > With a schematic it is sooooo simple to identify each and every flop and
see
> > what it is doing in a simulation.  Something isn't working in HDL?  Good
> > luck.  Oh yeah, and with schematics, you never have to do all that
modeling
> > nonsense.  While most "designers" are modeling what their circuit is
> > supposed to do, I've already got it done, simulated, verified on the
bench,
> > off my plate and onto the next thing.
> >

> What do you do when your two BGA packages aren;t talking to each other
> and you haven't got the chance (because of signal integrity concerns)
> to put a probe point on the board?

I use any number of debugging methods to solve board problems.  Generally
though, I find that if I simulated it properly, it works in circuit (barring
fabrication problems or layout errors).  If it doesn't work in circuit,
usually it means I missed some condition in the simulation.

> I go back to my simulation, with its models and all that 'waste of
> time'.
>
> Another advantage of this approach is that I can write a testbench
> that covers all my (many) testcases and reports a pass or fail at the
> end.  That way I can modify any code I like and know I haven't
> recreated any old bugs.  Not quite so easy when staring at
> waveforms...

Well, I guess we mean different things when we describe "simulations".  The
Quartus tools allow me to simulate the design without having to "model"
anything.  I can take the actual design and throw signals at it directly to
see if it is doing what it should.  If I've built the circuit according to
the timing diagrams, I should see resultant waveforms that match what I
expect.  Very simple to follow visually, and it has the added benefit that
you see a lot more about what is going on in the circuit instead of a simple
"pass/fail".  BTW, with waveforms you can also do pass/fail tests really,
really easily and automatically.  There is no penalty from using waveforms,
but there is a lot to gain.  Also, when you debug the board, you should be
able to match appropriate I/O signals with ones witnessed in simulation.
Seeing a blinky light turn on doesn't mean a circuit worked.  You have to
know how well it is working, and know what the signal integrity is along the
way.  This usually means o'scopes, which means, you guessed it, waveforms.

> <snip>
>
> Just some thoughts from the other side!
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> --
> martin.j.thompson@trw.com
> TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK
> http://www.trw.com/conekt

Article: 57252
> What's your suggestion for a low-power, battery operated FPGA design? What
> family do you suggest? I guess the design should need something like 20K~30K
> gates (yeah, I know this does not all that correct but I've not syntesized
> the design yet and can't give a good estimate on number of LEs or FFs...).
> From what I've seen in data-sheets, besides the power consumption, one major
> concern is the power-up and configuration current for SRAM based devices.
> Also I'd like to have the minimum number of VCC voltages on the board and
> other parts used in the design are 3.3v and can be safely run using a single
> rechargable battery with no need for DC-DC converter circuit (it means that
> they can work from 2.7v to 4.1v with no problem).
>
> Best Regards
> Arash

Article: 57253
> > > The "pay" tools are essentially the same, and work just as deplorably.
> > > have a copy of ISE 5.2, and it uses the same sorry excuse for a
> schematic
> > > editor.  I invented the "hexplitive", which was swearing in base 16,
> when
> > > working with X schematic tools.
> > >
> > ...snip...
> > > I also can't buy into the HDL argument.  The reason is simple.  If you
> were
> > > a software developer and you needed your code to be as small as possible
> and
> > > run as fast as possible, what language would you use?  Well, every
> software
> > > developer I've ever met answers the same -- native assembly language for
> the
> > > processor in question.  No compiled code will be more efficient because
> of
> > > the layers of abstraction that higher level languages impose.  The
> embedded
> > > developers I've worked with always got a good chuckle out of their C
> > > language counterparts sucking up 100's of kilobytes of memory compared
> > > the few K that their assembly code needed.
> >
> > But you ignore the fact that very few embedded engineers need their code
> > to be "as small as possible" or "fast as possible".  That is because the
> > hardware gives lots of head room for very few bucks.  Likewise FPGAs
> > generally are more than fast enough and large enough and cheap enough
> > (did *I* say that?) for 95% of the designs to be done in HDL.
> >

> In 20 years in this business (primarily telecom/datacom), I've never once
> had a situation where bloat was allowed.  Bloat = added cost that doesn't go
> away.  You burden every finished product with unecessary cost simply by poor
> design practices.  A few dollars difference in parts doesn't mean much when
> you build 10.  But when you built 100,000 it suddenly means a lot.  I've had
> to sweat R's and C's many times, trying to remove as many as possible, and
> then try to make the remaining ones use similar values as much as
> possible -- all to try and minimize costs (cost of parts, cost of time for
> the person ordering different parts, cost of warehousing -- it all counts if
> you think about it).

If you are in Telecom then you must have used TTC (now Acterna) test
equipment.  If so, I can assure you that you have worked with bloated
software.  This was done to facilitate the modularity of the hardware
(which also had to be more complex than actually required) and
subsequently was harder to maintain.  Not only did they use C, but they
used C++.  Clearly assembly was not needed, and the C and C++ had
advantages in time to market or why would they use it?

> Having recently done an OC48 framer design (in a couple of weeks), I could
> have easily aimed at something like a 1C6 or 1C12 Cyclone part.  Instead I
> aimed for a 1C3 part in the slowest speed grade.  Works just fine, using
> about 1/3 of the LCs.  A 1C3 costs 1/2 of a 1C6 roughly, yet the 1C6 is not
> "expensive".  Choosing to design efficiently added exactly zero time penalty
> but yielded tremendous cost savings.

If you only used 1/3 of the LCs, then surely it would have fit using an
HDL.  If you don't know how to use an HDL, then you can produce some
pretty poor code that is much larger than needed.  It is another animal
to learn, but can improve your efficiency.

BTW, the fact that you did not even fill half of a 1C3 supports my
statement that you most likely do rather small designs.  The advantages
of HDLs show when you start making larger chips.

> > Again for the same reason that few designers do an entire project in
> > assembly, I won't be doing any more schematic designs.  The last one I
> > did was a PITA to draw the gates needed for FSM design or worse, address
> > decoding.  Data path is not bad in schematic, but the random logic is no
> > fun at all and it takes up so much space when you try to view a large
> > design.  I don't mean disk space, I mean viewing space.  I can view an
> > equivalent project in a text editor much more easily than a schematic
> > editor.
> >
> One startup I worked for had an embedded designer assigned to one or more
> ATM interface cards.  These guys wrote in assembly only, and because of this
> were able to keep up with ATM at OC-3 rates using a very slow, primitive
> (i.e. inexpensive) micro.
>
> The fact that random gate design being "no fun at all" and "taking up a lot
> of space" suggests a few things to me.  First, there are some simple rules
> for making a clean, legible schematic.  Too bad schools never teach them.
> Also, I firmly believe that nearly anyone can make a functioning design
> given enough time.  This doesn't make it a good design.  Some designs are
> better than others, and one way to get to the "good design" stage is to get
> your fingers into the gates and learn how to work with them efficiently.
>
> I regularly test whether or not an HDL can create logic more efficiently
> than me.  It can't.  Not once has it implemented any type of decoding
> function better than I can.  It can match me in terms of resources utilized,
> but it can't best me.  By staying in the gates, I always have an instant
> grasp of how large a design is getting.  I stopped one major piece of that
> OC48 design simply because it was getting too large.  I knew that because I
> could see it on the page and in the floorplanner.  Seeing the size forced me
> to think about other ways to implement the process.  The first way worked,
> but so what?  Not good enough.  I needed to reduce the size to stay
> comfortably in the smaller part.

You are missing the point.  The HDL tool will not make more efficient
logic, but it can do well enough.  Engineering is all about doing the
job to spec and within schedule.  Trying to get your gate count lower is
a waste of time.  That is the sort of stuff that kids did in school, to
make a design run even faster or make it smaller.  Sure these are good
learning exercises, but in engineering the emphasis is on spec.  HDLs do
a "good enough" job 99% of the time.

> > > HDL is the same.  You abstract designs (so that non-designers can
> pretend to
> > > be designers I suppose) and pay a penalty by having circuit bloat.  If
> you
> > > want the smallest design possible, and want it to run as fast as
> possible,
> > > you need to use the design equivalent of assembly coding -- i.e.
> schematics.
> > > A picture is worth a thousand words, so you can make a picture or type a
> > > thousand words.  Which one will be easier for someone else to
> understand,
> > > hmm?
> >
> > There are lots of reasons to use HDLs, but trying to enable uneducated
> > hardware designers (or worse, software designers) is not one of them.  I
> > feel that to properly use an HDL you need to know what you expect for
> > hardware and then describe that in the HDL.  But again, very few people
> > have to have the "smallest" or the "fastest" design.  Mostly they have
> > goals which include schedules.
> >
> The best HDL folks I know are ones who use it like it was a schematic.  So,
> in my mind, why bother?  And again, I've never had the luxury of NOT needing
> the smallest/fastest design.  It's how I push 4 OC48s through a $30 part,
> saving a client millions on NOT needing to buy a bunch of expensive ASSPs
> for every board.
>
> Size does count, and I can proudly say that "mine is smaller than yours".
> ;-)

Interesting idea of what constitutes "good" or "best".  I once worked at
TRW where I learned one very valuable lesson.  An optimized system is
more expensive in all areas of design.  It is more expensive to design
initially since it takes more time.  It is more expensive to test since
it is more complex.  It is more expensive to maintain since a change is
harder to make without breaking something else.

A smaller design is likely going to be more expensive to engineer over
the long haul. Unless you actually get into a smaller chip and save
money, you have done nothing useful.

> > As to the picture and word analogy, I find the words to suit design
> > better.  It takes a large picture and a lot of time to create it, to
> > equal those thousand words.
> >
> Some folks are visual and some folks prefer the written word.  I'm obviously
> visual for circuits and have no problem using the written word, like now,
> for example.

Seeing and creating are different.  Nearly all people can understand a
good drawing more easily.  That is why all my HDL designs start with
block diagrams.  But turning that into a complex design in schematic is
a PITA.  Once you get used to code you will find that it is much easier
to work with... or not.  Your preference.

> > > I recently talked to an FAE for an FPGA vendor.  He said that fully 80%
> of
> > > the designs he has seen are done in schematics.  You can even read about
> > > graphical versions of HDL coming out.  Sounds like schematics to me.
> Except
> > > that you add a layer of obfuscation in there that will make for a more
> > > bloated design.  Why bother?
> >
> > I don't know where you got this, but this sounds like an exaggeration.
> > I would say he had it backwards, but I bet the schematic usage is less
> > than 20%.
> >
> I got this right from the horse's mouth.  I didn't make it up.  It was his
> observation of designs he's seeing.  Why would he lie?  He has no vested
> interest in any method his clients use.  Simply the stats he sees.

I can assure you that this is not true for design starts today.  If it
were there would be a lot more postings here from people who use
schematic.  There are virtually none, perhaps what, 1 a month other than
threads like this?

> > > An ironic thing to notice is that if you open many of the X design
> examples
> > > included with the tools, you'll see that they are schematic based.
> > >
> > > With a schematic it is sooooo simple to identify each and every flop and
> see
> > > what it is doing in a simulation.  Something isn't working in HDL?  Good
> > > luck.  Oh yeah, and with schematics, you never have to do all that
> modeling
> > > nonsense.  While most "designers" are modeling what their circuit is
> > > supposed to do, I've already got it done, simulated, verified on the
> bench,
> > > off my plate and onto the next thing.
> >
> > If you don't feel the need to simulate, then you are clearly doing very
> > simple designs.  The simulation is to make sure you are solving the
> > problem rather than just knowing what you are creating.  These are two
> > different problems.
> >
> Guess you missed it when I said I simulated the designs, right before
> testing them on the bench.  I never skip simulating.  Again though, I prefer
> the graphical waveform version as I get to see a nice, pretty picture of
> what is happening and when.  It is very simple to pull up any flop in the
> design and see it relative to anything else.  Makes debugging go 10 times
> faster.  And, once I'm happy with it, I can transfer the simulator results
> back into the input file so that I can compare expected to generated results
> should I make changes or add new stuff.  What could be simpler?

Then what are you talking about by "modeling"?

If you think waveform editing is the way to go in simulation, you are
missing the best part of an HDL.  Even if I had a design in schematic I
would want to simulate it in an HDL simulator.  Being able to code the
environment makes life so much easier than creating waveforms.  That
alone is worth using an HDL in my opinion.

> > > I was taught the power of schematics and their companion, the timing
> > > diagram, when I was a wee engineer pup.  My first boss would sit me down
> and
> > > go over the schematics with me, asking me to justify each and every
> > > component on the page.  If there wasn't a good reason for it, it was
> gone.
> > > Amongst the many invaluable lessons he taught me was that every
> component in
> > > the circuit should have a reason.  Try doing that with an HDL
> abstraction.
> > > Most "designers" haven't a clue how that hunk of code they wrote got
> > > implemented in actual gates.  Scott Adams would probably call them
> > > "Duhsigners".
> > >
> > > <getting off soapbox now>
> > >
> > > So, I'm with you 100%.  Schematics rule.  Xilinx has no reason
> whatsoever to
> > > support schematics, as the bloated designs that HDLs produce force folks
> > > into buying larger, faster speed grade parts that are naturally  more
> > > costly.  Works for them.
> > >
> > > You can always download the free Altera tools and play with their stuff.
> > > Fully integrated schematic capture, compiler and simulator.  Very nice.
> Not
> > > perfect or bug free, but then no tool is.  It is, however, VASTLY
> superior
> > > to the X garbage schematic tools.
> > >
> > > When I need to design something in an X part, I do it first in the A
> tools
> > > and use their native simulater.  Then I re-enter it in X.  Doing the
> > > drawings twice is STILL faster than doing the design from scratch in X.
> Try
> > > it.
> > >
> > > I tend to always push my clients to use A parts simply because the tools
> are
> > > so superior.  Design times are radically reduced, and that saves them
> > > tangible money.  If they insist on X parts, I revert to the paragraph
> above.
> > >
> > > Don't buy into the HDL propaganda.  Schematics will never do you wrong.
> >
> > No, but they will take more time and make large jobs nearly impossible.
>
> For the duhsigner, perhaps.  Personally, I've never found any job too large
> for schematics, whether doing ASICs or FPGAs.  And, you need schematics to
> design PCBs, so the extra practice doesn't hurt.

What ever works for you.  But most people have learned to use HDLs
efficiently, just as most programmers (even the best ones) have learned
to use C effectively.