Subject: Re: Basic jitter from a CPLD (XC7500XL)
From: "Jim" <jim@nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:50:53 -0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote in message
news:p2t%b.28542$ws.3212062@news02.tsnz.net...
> When you use the slew model, you can appreciate any pulse transformer (
> with its slow slew rates ) will likely have a big effect on jitter.
>
>   Why is the transformer there, and do you work on both sides of it
> - ie is the RX side your design ? Some care will be needed there,
> to both keep Tsu/Th ok, and to minimise clock path degrade.
>
>  >I've googled for HC1G79 but to no avail so far.
>
> http://www.philipslogic.com/products/picogate/flipflops/
>
> -jg

Thank you for the link Jim.

I do see what you mean about the slew rate of the transformer and its effect
on jitter. We are using a pulse transformer in the transmit side only. This
is to achieve galvanic isolation and is recommend for SPDIF output circuits
in the datasheets and documents we have, e.g.:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS8405A-f.pdf  (800KB) page 34 -
consumer output circuit
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/appNote/AN134-4.pdf  (70KB)
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html  (a collection of SPDIF
circuits from various sources)

The transformer is a Pulse Engineering PE-65812 and is recommended by Cirrus
Logic for SPDIF transmission. Hopefully this means jitter from the
transformer is kept as low as possible. Since the SPDIF outputs of all
consumer devices are meant to have a transformer in them (AFAIK), then they
must all have this problem?

On the other hand, I have also seen that many DIY audio geeks prefer a
direct connection with no transformer, I guess for exactly the reasons you
have suggested. However, since our product is for sale to the general
public, I like the idea of galvanic isolation to cover us in case of
incorrect connections by users and also failure within the unit itself that
could possibly damage their expensive equipment.

Jim