Subject: Re: Altera SOPC Master Peripheral Design?
From: pinod01@sympatico.ca (Pino)
Date: 1 Jul 2004 14:30:52 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Jesse,

    I sent you an e-mail directly but in case I would like to see
those system files if you have them.  Although my suspicion is that
your file contains a NIOS master(cpu) which will function correctly
and allow SOPC builder to automatically connect the interfaces
seemlinglessly.  However, I did not experience this with my designed
Master.  All controllers (slave peripherals) used are directly from
Altera taken from within the SOPC builder system content menu.  I am
aware of the two modes to configure the SDRAM, but neither functions
correctly with my master peripheral; however, only with the cpu (NIOS)
does it automatically connect with no errors.  The question I still
ponder on is that whether you can indeed design a Master peripheral
using the Avalon Bus or does SOPC builder by default assume that the
only Master peripheral for the automatic connectivity is the "cpu" (ie
NIOS)?   If you have a chance I sent you my Master.vhd file and you
can monitor the error I'm getting.  Again, it's for this reason why I
have hypothesized my comment in the latter.  Don't know if I have done
something erroneous.

Regards,
Pino

kempaj@yahoo.com (Jesse Kempa) wrote in message news:<95776079.0406300951.753e78cb@posting.google.com>...
> pinod01@sympatico.ca (Pino) wrote in message news:<b7ed9648.0406291101.30563548@posting.google.com>...
> <snip>
> >
> > tri_state_bridge_0/avalon_slave is not connected to any Master.
> > Please connect it to a master of type avalon.
> >
> > Note that the Master peripheral defined is of type avalon and so is
> > the SDRAM controller (as defined within the Memory devices in the
> > System Contents directory tree).
> >
> > Can someone explain how I can properly connect a Master peripheral
> > (user-defined of course) to the SDRAM controller slave?   Why does the
> > tristate bridge not allow this connection to occur?
> >
> > P.S.  If this same excercise is done using a NIOS processor master +
> > tristate bridge + SDRAM controller everything is connected with no
> > errors.  The only difference that I see is that my Master is a
> > user-defined peripheral.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Pino
>
> Hi Pino,
>
> I believe the problem here is because of the various ways you can
> construct a system with SDRAM. First, are you using Altera's SDRAM
> controller that comes with Nios/SOPC Builder? Our controller has two
> modes of operation with respect to its external pins:
>
> 1. No pin 'sharing'. This is the default behavior, and is what you'd
> select if your board had I/O pins dedicated to SDRAM and SDRAM only.
> In this mode, your master (or a CPU) connects directly to the SDRAM
> controller. There should be no tri-state bridge in between (in fact,
> SOPC Builder shouldn't let you make this connection legally, perhaps
> this is where the issue is...)
>
> 2. SDRAM controller shares some of its pins with a tri-state bus. This
> allows you to save FPGA I/O if your system also has some other
> external memory (Flash, SRAM, etc.). Specifically the dq/dqm/address
> pins are shared. This is activated with a checkbox in the SDRAM
> controller GUI in SOPC Builder. In this mode, Avalon masters *must
> also* directly connect to the controller (your logic, Nios, etc.), but
> in addition, there will be a "More <sdram name> Settings" Page in SOPC
> Builder that appears, and allows you to choose which (if more than
> one) tri-state bridge you wish to route the shared I/O through. In
> this case, the Avalon master/slave connections you make will be
> similar to the first mode I described above: The master (your logic)
> would connect directly to the SDRAM controller, in addition to the
> tri-state bridge.
>
> I just made a simple test-case to verify this using QII4.0/SOPCB4.0
> and it generates fine/no warning messages. If you want, feel free to
> email me and I will send you the system's files.
>
> Jesse Kempa
> Altera Corp.
> jkempa at altera dot com

Article: 70926
> > tri_state_bridge_0/avalon_slave is not connected to any Master.
> > Please connect it to a master of type avalon.
> >
> > Note that the Master peripheral defined is of type avalon and so is
> > the SDRAM controller (as defined within the Memory devices in the
> > System Contents directory tree).
> >
> > Can someone explain how I can properly connect a Master peripheral
> > (user-defined of course) to the SDRAM controller slave?   Why does the
> > tristate bridge not allow this connection to occur?
> >
> > P.S.  If this same excercise is done using a NIOS processor master +
> > tristate bridge + SDRAM controller everything is connected with no
> > errors.  The only difference that I see is that my Master is a
> > user-defined peripheral.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Pino
>
> Hi Pino,
>
> I believe the problem here is because of the various ways you can
> construct a system with SDRAM. First, are you using Altera's SDRAM
> controller that comes with Nios/SOPC Builder? Our controller has two
> modes of operation with respect to its external pins:
>
> 1. No pin 'sharing'. This is the default behavior, and is what you'd
> select if your board had I/O pins dedicated to SDRAM and SDRAM only.
> In this mode, your master (or a CPU) connects directly to the SDRAM
> controller. There should be no tri-state bridge in between (in fact,
> SOPC Builder shouldn't let you make this connection legally, perhaps
> this is where the issue is...)
>
> 2. SDRAM controller shares some of its pins with a tri-state bus. This
> allows you to save FPGA I/O if your system also has some other
> external memory (Flash, SRAM, etc.). Specifically the dq/dqm/address
> pins are shared. This is activated with a checkbox in the SDRAM
> controller GUI in SOPC Builder. In this mode, Avalon masters *must
> also* directly connect to the controller (your logic, Nios, etc.), but
> in addition, there will be a "More <sdram name> Settings" Page in SOPC
> Builder that appears, and allows you to choose which (if more than
> one) tri-state bridge you wish to route the shared I/O through. In
> this case, the Avalon master/slave connections you make will be
> similar to the first mode I described above: The master (your logic)
> would connect directly to the SDRAM controller, in addition to the
> tri-state bridge.
>
> I just made a simple test-case to verify this using QII4.0/SOPCB4.0
> and it generates fine/no warning messages. If you want, feel free to
> email me and I will send you the system's files.
>
> Jesse Kempa
> Altera Corp.
> jkempa at altera dot com

Jesse,

    Thanks for the response. Just so you are aware I have only been
using the SDRAM controller from within the Altera library within the
system contents window.  I have configured this slave peripheral as
per your option #2, and used the tristate bridge.   In this particular
case, I do obtain something that SOPC can connect with no errors if
and only if I use a NIOS (cpu) master peripheral.  If I use my
developed master peripheral, SOPC builder raises an error in that it
can not see the Master and highlights that it can not be connected to
it.  This raises a question on whether or not I am able to use any
other master peripheral than the NIOS master peripheral?  Does SOPC
builder recognize anything else?  I have sent you my Master peripheral
"Master.VHD" file so that you can include this as "User defined Logic"
as a Avalon Master and monitor the type of error I have seen.

     If anyone knows of any knows of anyway to connect a generic
Master peripheral using SOPC builder, this would be appreciated!

Regards,
Pino

Article: 70927