Subject: Re: ASICs Vs. FPGA in Safety Critical Apps.
From: Kayvon Irani <kirani@cinenet.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 22:15:11 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi everyone:

	When I started this question a couple of weeks ago I had no idea I'd get
	so many responses! Thanks for all the comments. Having read all the comments,
	it was interesting to find out that only one person thought that ASICs would
	be significantly safer than FPGAs ( I guess assuming you'd test either one
	throughly before shipping your board). Most of the discussions were centered
	around Anti-fuse/Fuse technology Vs. SRAM based technology. Does any one care to
 	comment on the use of flash or EEPROM/EPROM technology for safety critical
	applications? Would a minimum guaranted data retention of 10 years (in most
	cases) persuade you not to use these parts? What about the reliablity of
	flash/EEPROMs used to store your SRAM FPGA data?

	Regards,
	Kayvon Irani
	Los Angeles, Ca
Article: 4876