Subject: Re: Fine Pitch PQFP : anyone any hassles?
From: manningc @southern.co.nz (Charles Manning)
Date: 27 May 1997 09:36:38 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I'm a ham fisted software person and I eventually soldered on a TQFP
package.

>Two questions:
>
>1) Do any of you find such packages tend to come in with such
>connection problems?

Yes they're a bitch, but with care they aren't as bad as all that.

- Make sure that the pins are all aligned and are flat.
- I used a hot air iron (Weller gas iron costing less than $100.)
- Use as little solder paste as possible.
- Check each joint with an exacto knife and a microscope (I got a $20
hobby microscope for this). Mechanical pressure from the knife helps
identify poor connections and dry joints.

>2) What is the feeling about attempting to re-solder such pins if a
>connection seems to be flakey? Am I wasting my time trying to fix it?
>Maybe if some pins have flakey connections then others on the same
>chip are likely to (eg. if some are bent down too much, then obviously
>the others are at a different level...).

I had better results slowly walking the surplus solder along the pins to
the end of a row, then wicking it off or just shaking it off.

------------ When all else fails, find a scapegoat ----------------
Charles Manning                          manningc@southern.co.nz

Christchurch, New Zealand