Subject: Re: New Reconfigurable Computing newsgroup?
From: Steve Casselman <sc@vcc.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:38:08 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Even the guy (Andy Haines) who came up with the
term FPGA didn't want to see reconfigurable
computing pegged into comp.arch.fpga. It is
not the right hierarchy and we should change it
and make it right. (its the engineer in me:-)

comp.arch.rpu.hardware
comp.arch.rpu.software
comp.arch.rpu.research

The RPU is going to be easy to get people to understand.
"Reconfigurable Processing Unit" tells you it is for
processing whereas fpga tells you its for gate arraying.
I would rather not have to go to any more parties and try
to explain "gate arrays." RPUs are processors that can
change their internal sturcture on demand.
--
Steve Casselman, President
Virtual Computer Corporation