Subject: Re: export pins from MAX+ to orcad schem symbol
From: eteam.nospam@aracnet.com (bob elkind)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 06:19:14 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

bob elkind said...
> Anyone have a clue, what is the simplest and most reliable
> means for exporting post-compile pinouts from Altera's
> MAX+II to OrCad or Protel, for generating a schematic symbol
> for board design?
>
> There must be a simple solution, since this is otherwise a
> horribly tedious, error-prone, and repetitive task.

I'll answer my own question...

1. In MAX+2, select the compiler window.
2. Check Interfaces/EDIF netlist writer
3. under Interfaces/EDIF netlist writere settings...
    a.  EDIF 2 format
    b.  map illegal characters
    c.  flatten bus
    d.  write delays constructs <somewhere else>
4. Run the compiler.  This generates a .EDO EDIF2 netlist

In Orcad Express (I don't know if this works in Capture):

5.  execute Tools/Genereate Symbol
    a. specify the EDIF2 netlist written by MAX+2
    b. check the "specify the number of pins" box, and fill
       in the number.

6.  After the part info is loaded, you have an Orcad part defined!

If you want to proceed further to Protel...

7.  In Orcad Express, save the new part information as a SDT4
    (*not* 386+) library file.

8.  Find the decomp.exe library decomposer program from old
    SDT4 (for DOS).  Run this program on the saved SDT4
    format library file.  The result is an ascii .SRC file.

In Protel,

9.  Open the .SRC file as an Orcad Library file.

10. The part is now read into Protel, and you can do with it
    what you will.

It's that simple!  If anyone has a simpler method, I'd love
to hear from you.  But at least we have *one* method that
(more or less) works.

-- Bob Elkind

Bob Elkind                              mailto:eteam@aracnet.com
7118 SW Lee Road               part-time fax number:503.357.9001
Gaston, OR 97119           cell:503.709.1985   home:503.359.4903
****** Video processing, R&D, ASIC, FPGA design consulting *****
Article: 7376