Subject: Re: Design security
From: Pat <PDobson@sercoalpha.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:10:03 +0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In FPGA encryption, the key is only temporarily stored on the FPGA, it
is generally generated by a controlling processor during the handshake
process of PKC. A lot of algorithms are completely public domain, a good
example is DES (Data Encryption Standard). You can find details of this
all over the Internet, for free (usually), the clever bit comes with the
use of public and private keys, key management and 'trusted' user
groups. Basically, who cares if the FPGA is compromised and analysed
because all that will be found is DES !
        As far as how strong an algorithm do you need to use, it all
depends who it's being designed for. If you design one for a bank
they'll probably have different requirements to that of a countries
government and each organisation will have it's own checking procedure
(and will probably be quite secretive about it too !)
        When you say minimal silicon area, quite how small do you expect
(want) algorithms to be ??

                        PAT.

In article <859i2q$ga3@src-news.pa.dec.com>, Hal Murray
<murray@pa.dec.com> writes