Subject: Re: clock generation with DOPPLER shift
From: "Peter Alfke" <peter@xilinx.com>
Date: 18 Jan 2006 09:26:30 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Direct Digital Synthesis (a.k.a. phase accumulator) can generate the
desired average frequency, but at excesive and unacceptable jitter.
Assume a 500 MHz accumulator clock: It will generate more than 1 ns of
jitter.

Let's look at the desired frequency shift in the time domain,
1 MHz = 1 microsecond = 1,000,000 picoseconds
1 MHz - 5 Hz = 1,000,005 picoseconds.

That means, the clock period of 1 microsecond must be nudged gently in
steps that are much smaller than 5 picoseconds.So we are talking
femtoseconds here.
I do not see how this can be done with purely digital means.

I could imagine a 5 Hz linear ramp added to the 1 MHz clock, so that
the input threshold moves the frequency in the desired way, but you are
still facing random noise and unavoidable jitter.
I think our analog friend are better at this. They play with modulators
and crystal filters, and are more comfortable in the frequency domain.
Digital circuits work inherently in the time domain.
There may even be a mechanical solution (something spinning at 5 Hz)...
Maybe someone else has more constructive thoughts.